How do I create a transparent background without the white background showing?

I would very much appreciate help with creating a signature only seen (signed in black ink,) with a transparent background. I'm a small business owner with employee ID cards. The card background has lines and a few images that I would like the signature to go over with the background being seen as is. When I try importing or copy & paste a gif signature from one of my employee’s onto the business card, the white background still shows. I am using CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X4. 

If someone would be kind enough to explain to me in "baby talk", i.e. step by step, how I can accomplish this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Much thanks in advance

TRTI

Parents
No Data
  •  There are two options:

1. After importing your employee's signature, click on the "Trace Bitmap" button.  This will convert the bitmap to a vector.  CorelDRAW is a vector program, much like Adobe Illustrator.  After converting to vector, ungroup it and delete the white background.

2. Do the same as step one, but instead of clicking on the "Trace Bitmap" button, click the one next to it that says "Edit Bitmap"  This will open Corel PhotoPaint, a bitmap editing program.  This is similar to Adobe Photoshop.  Here, use the Crop tool to crop out the background of the bitmap, leaving only the picture.  Save and close, and the bitmap in CorelDRAW will reflect the changes.

Children