Paragraph text (text box) and artistic text (no text box)

My work flow is:

Screen shot using SnagIt with png format (screen shot was 69 kb).

Import to CD.

Add text.

Export as png.

Import into Framemaker (ver 7.0) by reference.

This usually works very well, but today i was working on a drawing where the imported png was larger (in kb's) than I usually use. Other than that it is a very simple drawing, using 2 layers: the imported screen shrt on one layer and text boxes, arrows and lines on a 2nd layer.

Exporting from CD worked fine. so did importing to Framemaker, but then the Framemaker file started to exhibit strange behavior (sometimes crashing, sometimes not, sometimes saying that it could not display inmported graphics). Well, the culprit must be this imported graphic  file because that is the only thing that changed in in the FM file (it is a file that has been used for quite a while).

I succeeded in printing the file and I see two things that are weird:

1. A few pixels of all text that was not in a text box are cut off at the bottom and on the top.

2. There is a solid black box directly underneath the graphic that does not appear in the cdr file..

I went back to the cdr file and decided to edit it by removing all the "artistic text" labels and using text boxes. I noticed that when I draw the text box, the text box broken-line border is black.

Ok, I drew the text box, typed some text, and then changed the font size. The text box broken-line border became red. What does this mean?

Do any of you mavens have a hunch about what is going on here?

A more general question: Until recently, I took screen shots in gif format and exported from CD in gif or jpg. Things looked pretty good. (I must mention here that i am a technical writer and basically use CD for screen shots and adding callouts and to handle AutoCAD drawings. I am not really a graphic person.)

For various reasons I switched to png and am less satisfied with the results. Any input here?

Well, at any rate.

TIA and have a good weekend,

Leah Smaller

Technical Communicator - leah@compulite.com

Certfied Feldenkrais Method practitioner

• Leah Smaller said:

Ok, I drew the text box, typed some text, and then changed the font size. The text box broken-line border became red. What does this mean?

That means that all the text are not shown. Try increasing the text box and you will see the red outline is gone and you will see all the text there.