Color Management

Why is it that in Corel X5 the colors are WAY differnet than X4. Does anyone know the formulation for the color profile/managment to make your colors bold againand be more like what you see on your screen. I am using this for sublimation and mainly pressing on to metal. Some fabric, ceramic and misc. items.

• Hi.

I've tried every setting in the new cm and the colors will not appear as before.

Most CM experts will tell you that this new way is correct, but I still think the new colors are a bit off when relating to any output device verses screen rendering.

-John

• Hi,

Most often reason colors in X5 are displayed "dull" compared to X4 is because document's colors are defined in CMYK and color management was turned off in X4. Simply put X5 displays CMYK colors correctly, X4 in CM off mode does not. "Color Management Off' in X4 mode was rendering colors unnaturally bright. As soon you bring the same content ( as PDF, JPEG or any other file format that supports CMYK ) into any color managed application, including X5,  they will display CMYK colors for what they are - i.e. the way CMYK colors look when printed with real inks on real paper.

X4 by default had active CMYK color palette and had CMYK color proofing turned on, the configuration that unfortunately makes sense only for DTP. Because of CMYK simulation even bright sRGB colors would be rendered through CMYK and appear much duller. Trying to get to the bright colors many users would simply disable color management in X4 not realizing all consequences. The correct solution would be to turn CMYK simulation off by disabling all the arrows in X4 color management settings dialog, except the one that goes from central Internal RGB icon to monitor icon, and use RGB color palette.

In X5 you can choose color mode for your document explicitly,  either in Create New Document dialog for new documents, or in Tools/Color Management/Document Settings dialog for existing ones. Choosing RGB for the X5 document will change default palette to RGB and will give you access to bright colors you need.

If you have a lot of X4 documents created in "Color Management Off" mode that use CMYK colors the only realistic solution would be to simulate this mode in X5 by selecting "Simulate color management off" preset in Tools/Color Management/Default Settings dialog. Unfortunately all that it will do  - it will render your CMYK color the same way X4 did with CM turned off - i.e. completely incorrectly, but this is acceptable for some users in some limited workflows.

Gennady

• matilda10 said:
    Why is it that in Corel X5 the colors are WAY differnet than X4

The answer is revealed by studying your CM seting in X4 verses X5.  In short the impropper things done in X4 and older are no longer done.  My book at www.graphictechnology.com has an explanation.  The profiles used in X4 and older are no longer available in X5 and there are issues with naming structures of the files and profiles.  I have solved this by naming the profiles as Windows and as X5 will see them at my web site www.graphictechnology.com .  The display in X5 can become colser if you use the profiles for X4 and use similar settings.