PhotoPaint X5 and Windows 7 locks jpg files

I have Corel PhotoPaint X5 running on Windows 7 x64. Every time I save a jpg or jpeg file, the file cannot be shared and appears with a padlock on the bottom left hand corner. To be able to share it, I have to go to the properties of every individual photo and add "Everyone" to the permissions in the Security Tab. Other files save OK. Its only jpg/jpeg files that get locked. Anyone have any ideas how to solve this annoying problem?

Parents
No Data
  • I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I just moved up to X7 from X4. I NEVER had this issue with X4. However, on X7, when I save jpg files, it sometimes (BUT NOT ALWAYS) changes the permissions. This means that my assistant, who has shared access to the files in certain folders on my computer, can no longer access them.

Just a few minutes ago, I ran a simple batch script to resize a bunch of images and save them over the originals. After it finished, about 2/3 of the images had the dreaded padlock! I thought I'd have to go into the security properties of every file, but thankfully I tried something else, which worked!

Using Windows Explorer, I did the following:

1. Made a temp folder
    2. Copied all the files into the temp folder
    3. Deleted the original files
    4. Cut and pasted the files from the temp folder to the original folder

I used this on 2 separate sets oif files, and it worked like a charm. When you copy the files into the temp folder, the new copies have the correct permissions.

The weird thing is that when Corel messed these up, it only did so for SOME, not ALL! Yet, they were all part of the same batch!

This is definitely a Corel problem, and one which started after X4. I ran X4 for YEARS, and did this exact batch file processing constantly, and not ONCE were any file permissions changed. I noticed the problem the very first time I ran a batch on X7.

I hope my workaround helps others having this issue. It's crude, but effective.

Children