Creating and Outputting Solid-Color Vinyl Letters with a different color Outline on Signs?

I've been a sign painter for 25 years and I'm making a transition to vinyl sign making.

I have a new Toshiba laptop with Windows 7. It has a 500GB HD, 4GB RAM, 16" screen and CorelDRAW X5 and Summa's WinPlot bridge software installed and I'm outputting the letters from a new Summa D75 vinyl cutter through the Toshiba laptop. It is not a printer, only a Summa cutter. Everything has been running perfectly.

Now I want to be able to create letters and then to create a different colored outlined to be applied over the top of those letters. How to do it?

I believe that I will have to separate the two elements and cut the letter from one file and the outline from a different file.

This morning I created two different files—one the letter itself and another file for the outline which I made by using the Stroke command in Illustrator. I created these files on my MacBook in Illustrator CS3 (I just got CD X5 and am still trying to figure it out.).

I created each file like this: With the file as I want it: Select All > Type > Create Outlines > Save As > Illustrator EPS.

I then took the files on a flashdrive to my Toshiba, opened CorelDRAW and imported them into CD. I then imported each file from CD into Summa's WinPlot bridge software. I cut both files onto vinyl. The file for the body of the letters cut just fine. The file for the outline cut exactly the same way instead of making a double-cut so that once weeded it would be an outline only.

Maybe I'm doing this completely wrong. Please straighten me out on this.

Thanks.

Parents Reply Children
No Data