board game path

Any way to draw something like this with artistic media? I set up the sequence of colors with rectangles and created a new brush, but of course it doesn't repeat the 7 colors. The shading of each step would be nice but not necessary.

Parents
No Data
    1. Create a rectangle.
    2. Duplicate that rectangle
    3. color fill each board square.
    4. Remove outline(if you have one.
    5. They are right next to each other, but I like a little over lap, so move them closer together, over each other.
    6. Create a brush stroke out of it. (Note: I didn't group them, but I had them selected before I hit the save icon)
    7. Now comes the tricky part, using it. Create a path, I like the 3 point curve for this.(In the video I initially select the b-spline by accident)
    8. Try to make it about the same distance between nodes.
    9. Select all the nodes and make 'smooth'
    10. Select each node individually and break apart the node (Note, it is still one object, do not 'break apart' the line)
    11. Then, with the line selected, Choose the artistic media tool and apply the line to it(by changing the 'width')

Not in the video: To apply the bevel.

1. Select one of the game board pieces
    2. Break apart.
    3. Ungroup.
    4. Now, Effects>Bevel
    5. Select 1 of the board pieces and give it a soft bevel that works for you and apply it. It will save these settings.
    6. Select the next board piece and hit apply in the bevel window.
    7. Repeat.step 6 until you've done them all. Note that this will keep the shadows and highlights together like it came from one light source.

Done.

Children