Dimension tool (rounding off numbers problem)

Hello and good day..  I am attempting to provide accurate drawings for quotes on some parts I need made.  When I use the dimension tool to save the time of hand typing dimensions I cannot get it to stop rounding up.   If I need a  .125 final size it always bumps it up to .13.  This just does not work for machining requirements.   I read an old post for Corel5 which I had already tried in my X7 which stated go to tools/options/workspace/edit.  I increased the drawing precision to 4 decimal places but it is still not working..  I closed the cdr file and reopened and it still does not create 4 decimals.  I re-drew a part and then tried it, same thing..  I draw a   .125 x .125 x .4375 and it says:  .13, .13, .44... pain in the brain.. 

How can I do this.. 

Another question.. after drawing a part in actual size. i.e. part above..  I want to expand the size of the drawing without changing the dimensions..  How can I do that?  I would like to print it very large but have not found away around that either..

thank you very much for your help and time.. 

Barry 

Parents
  • I think that you want to look at "Object Styles". If you aren't already familiar with them, find them in Window->Dockers->Object Styles.

Under "Default Object Properties", there should be an entry for "Dimension". Adjust the settings there, and you will be setting up how new dimensions created in that document will be produced.

Get that dialed in so that new dimensions are created the way you want. Then, you can right-click on that "Dimension" object style, and you should have an option to "Set as New Document Default". Your preferred settings for new dimensions should then be set in new documents you create.

Another question.. after drawing a part in actual size. i.e. part above..  I want to expand the size of the drawing without changing the dimensions..  How can I do that?  I would like to print it very large but have not found away around that either..

Look at Options->Document->Rulers and find the "Edit Scale..." button. That will lead you to a dialog where you can set the scale.

Reply Children
  • So, that being solved I went to the Edit Scale and changed it from 1:1 to 1:4 and what that did was changed my measurments to 4 times larger than written.  i.e..  .125 became .5..   Maybe I am misunderstanding? 

If you want it to be larger-than-life on the print, then you would want a larger scale, not smaller. Use 4:1, draw a shape that is 4" x 2" on the page, and it would then dimension as 16" x 8".

Do you work with corelcad at all?

I have no personal experience with CorelCAD, but I have substantial experience with CAD. All of the mechanical design work I do know is in Autodesk Inventor, with the approach of modeling parts and assemblies in 3-D, then generating 2-D drawings from the 3-D content when needed.

If you wanted to experiment with that sort of approach, then I have heard some good things about Autodesk's Fusion 360.