epilog lasers and X8

Just reporting that there are issues "printing" to my epilog lasers using X8. I have my original files saved as X7 as backups, and printing to the laser from X7 still works flawlessly. However, if I try printing the same file using X8, I have sporadic problems, mostly placement issues. I have tried printing only "selected" objects, and more often than not the object prints way out of scale or in the wrong place. Again, doing the same thing in X7 is perfect. At this point, epilog is open to any changes they need to address, but the difference seems to be in the software. I'll be using X7 with the lasers until I can trust X8, whether it's a printer driver change or coreldraw update. My settings under driver compatibility for both versions of coreldraw are the same. 

Parents
  • Thought I would chime in again after a few months. The problem still exists. I just applied the 18.1 update, but coreldraw still applies repositioning to "print selected" objects. And no, it doesn't have anything to do with particular printer drivers, office printers on other computers get the same results.

As usual, it doesn't seem to happen every single time, but if you highlight an object, select print "selected", in most cases what is printed is repositioned to the center of the page, and scaled to fit to page. If I print again, change the range to "current page", then back again to "selected", the position problem inevitably happens (and checking layout settings in print dialog confirms that the setting have been changed to "reposition" without my input). For fun, I opened the "print preview", and was able to generate the repositioning and sizing, but it's hard to pin down a sequence of input that causes the problem. I can tell you that changing the print range from "current page" (apparently the default) to "selected" a few times (followed by apply) will inevitably result in the printing problem.

Bottom line: printing "selected" objects is a big part of using coreldraw with laser engravers, and while it is possible to print selected objects with success, it seems to require a good bit of babysitting and a few crossed fingers. I'm not sure why coreldraw would assume that if I want to print a "selected" object, I would also at the same time want it repositioned to the center of the page and scaled to fit that page.

Until this unsolicited change of settings is fixed, I will continue to use coreldraw X7 with my engravers. Quite honestly, when work is being printed, I shouldn't have to constantly check my settings just to be safe.
Reply Children
No Data