Can't fill a shape made with connected lines.

3 years ago someone posted a query asking: "after "combine" unconnected lines wont fill with color" in X8 but didn't get a simple or indeed any solution.

I just had the same problem in X8 (haven't tried the later 2019 yet) and found the above, but remembered I used to do this type of fill years ago in version 3 without any problem.  So is this an issue with X8?

The only way I can get a filled shape from connected lines in X8 is to draw a rectangle, convert it to curves, apply the fill, convert the corners to curves with the Pick Tool, curve the sides, then drag the corners out to the  shape I wanted in the first place while the fill stays there.  If I draw four lines connected at their ends it won't fill, whatever I do to it.  As I have a solution for my immediate problem this is really a discussion rather than a query.

Parents
No Data
  • If I draw four lines connected at their ends it won't fill, whatever I do to it.  As I have a solution for my immediate problem this is really a discussion rather than a query.

What exactly do you mean by "connected"?

Are the nodes on the ends of adjacent segments just "at the same position", or have you "joined" those nodes (where two nodes become one)?

It can help to select the Curve and activate the Shape tool, so that you can see what's going on from the displayed nodes. It can also help to look in the Status Bar to see how many nodes it says are present in the selected Curve.

I know you have a way to do this by starting with a Rectangle, but that's not the only way to create a closed (and thus fillable) Curve.

Children