Win 10 and X4

First I suspect this question has been beat to death...and second, I'm not sure it is in the right place. I apologize for both.

I just upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 where I had CorelDraw X4 running happily. From various comments on the Internet including some CorelDraw groups, I was under the impression that if you upgraded to Win !0 as opposed to doing a clean install CorelDraw would work fine.

So, I had my local shop do the upgrade (along with some major hardware upgrades) and just got the computer back.

I have two problems which may be due to incompatibility with Win 10 or maybe something I don't yet know how to adjust:

First, when I open CorelDraw, it gives me the option to open  a new document from my saved templates. While I can manually open a .cdt, when I click on the option in the welcome dialog nothing happens.

As a result, I go up to the menu bar looking for "file open" or "new" and encounter the second problem (in both Draw and PhotoPaint)--the menu bar is empty...or so it seems. If I run my mouse pointer over the menu bar, the various menus, such as "File", "Edit", and "View", etc., appear and are seemingly functional, but otherwise the menu bar appears entirely empty.

Anyone have an answer for this? Or any other advice and/or comments?

Parents
  • This is the problem with "progress" unfortunately "these days".  Typically I love progress, but not these days with most anything...  it's usually a DOWNGRADE.  Windows 10 is current.... much more current than CorelDraw X4.  X4 is rather outdated and more than likely NOT supported with the future Windows 10 when X4 was created.  You may need to upgrade to a newer current version of CorelDraw in order to use it with Windows 10 and beyond.

Upgrades are ending December 1 2019 if you think you need to do that.  Not sure what to tell you about upgrading from X4 to CorelDraw 2019, but currently it's (v2019 with 3 updates to date) the worst version ever as it's BUGGY as hell.  (prior to update 3, not as stable with crashes)  A "couple or a few" here claim it's just fine, but going to have to leave that up to you to find out for yourself if you fall into that lucky category.  Maybe install the 15 day Trial to see?  Be prepared for some frustration from the road you just took when everything may have been working fine for you.

Or revert back to Windows 7 and X4???  (may be able to purchase some LEGIT prior to v2019 versions online?  i.e. v2018 supposed to be last good working version to date until v2019 gets fixed (or not).  (our X7 and v2017 work great also)  Be real careful, shady sellers out there with non-legit licenses)

We are on X7 and v2017 (Windows 10 Pro) which work just fine, but also purchased 2019, but are not installing them until we know it's a solid stable version with 3 updates to date and still buggy… jury isn't in yet...  I may just wait for v2020 with the Upgrade Protection to install next year or so.

If it isn't broke, don't fix it.  Developers should also take that great advice.

Reply Children
No Data