connecting users of the CorelDRAW family of products

How do I Remove the white background for a JPG?

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 4 Followers

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

Not Ranked
Johannesburg
Female
Melissa Posted: Tue, Feb 8 2011 8:46

Im adding a logo to something and its in JPG format, I need to remove the white background on it and keep the logo the same, using the erase thing takes to long and messes up the shape.... CAN ANYONE HELP?? Crying

Not Ranked
San Jose, CA
Male

OK, why does removing the white take too long? That should be about 4 seconds with photoshop or photopaint.
Is there an .eps of the logo?

I'd be happy to help. How big is the file? Can you post a url so I can look at it?

Top 25 Contributor
Santos, Brazil
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

Post your image here for any of us can give you better guidance.

Not Ranked
Johannesburg
Female

Hi there, thank you for all your help, but i did manage to figure it out...

I'm new at using this programme.

there are lots of things i dont know.

Do you know if i can take a picture from the internet, something simple like a bag or hat and then some how trace the outline only and work from that?

Also i was told that you can edit pictures from the intrenet, like a man with a hat and remove the hat, is that true, and do you have any short tips to help me dop small things?

Not Ranked
San Jose, CA
Male

The pen tool and Lasso selection tool will help with the first one--though patience will be your main asset.

As for removing hats, that can be a little harder, espicially if you have to replace part of the head that the hat was covering.

My first suggestion is to find a class at the local community college. Even if the class is photoSHOP instead of photoPAINT--the tools and skills are similar, and it's just a question of finding the different locations.

Hi Melissa, as the image that you want to remove the white back ground from is a jpeg this should be performed in Photo Paint as it is a bitmap

most likely way to remove the white background is the magic wand tool from the mask flyout

If you do not know where all the tools are go to the help files and look at the workshop tour this will tell all about the tools etc

also if you turn on the hints docker as you work you will learn more this is available from version x3.

1. when you select the magic wand masking tool < you have to set a tolerence < if the color is a pure color the tolerence will be 1 < then all you have to do is  < click on the white background and this will select all the white  < if their is more than 1 area of white < you have to have the <+> sign on the property bar to allow you to add to the first selection.

you will know when the mask is applied as the mask overlay is normally red and all red masked areas are protected < if the red mask overlay is not visable < on your menu bar go to < mask< mask overlay left click and this will put a tick beside it to tell you that it is selected

if you have it slightly wrong in that you have selected the <  - > button and the mask is not on the white < if you go to Mask on the menu bar < you will see the word invert < this will make the <+> plus mask turn into the < - > mask < you will have to watch this <+ and - signs to remember where your are

practice makes perfect.

when your mask has been applied and you are happy to go to the next step of removing the white background on your keyboard just hit the delete key on doing this it should delete the white backgeound < also you can right click and the box that comes has a delete button

further you mentioned that you were using the erasure tool < if you have the and the white is showing as unprotected by a mask you can run your erasure tool over the area to be deleted and the white will be deleted

their is some more that I would add to this but I have to go for now and I will make another post on the subject soon

Joe

Top 25 Contributor
Southeast Texas, USA
Male

Melissa:

Im adding a logo to something and its in JPG format, I need to remove the white background on it and keep the logo the same, using the erase thing takes to long and messes up the shape.... CAN ANYONE HELP?? Crying

Jeff Harrison has a very good tutorial.  Click Here

Jack

Lately, I have too much month left at the end of the money!

Hi Melissa, to continue where Ileft off on my earlier post
   when I open a image in Photo Paint I always do a save as so that the original is safe
   for me to go back to if I make a mistake etc.,then I would always do a < edit < checkpoint <
   look this up in your help files it will help in early learning
   As you will notice I have not given you all the answers in my posts but have told you to go to
   the help files or use the hints etc., this is to teach you to go looking for the answers that
   you may need
   also their is a lot of help at Corel.Com < resourses < tutorials >
   Do not think that I do not want to help just if you look their is a lot of help on your p/c and
   if their is any problems come back and ask for more help it is always their.

Joe

Not Ranked
Johannesburg
Female

Thank you Joe, im going to try that now you have been vert helpful

Top 10 Contributor
Melbourne
Male
Brian replied on Fri, Feb 11 2011 10:25

Hi Joe,

can you remember if the Cutout Lab came out with version 12 or X3? I was going to suggest using that, but I can't remember if it even existed back then (vers 12).

Best regards,
Brian.

Brian Melbourne

Top 10 Contributor
Uruguay
Male
CorelDRAWMaster
Ariel replied on Fri, Feb 11 2011 11:36

Edit the image with PhotoPaint (right click / edit bimap...) 

Take the second Tool (Mask) choose Magig Wand (press the W key as shortcut) select the background, go to the Mas menu, seelct "Invert". Close and save

Ariel Garaza Díaz

hi Brian, yes it was in ver 12 and it was under image < cutout it was also in earlier versions ver 11 is the earliest version that I have on my p/c  and version x3 changed over to call it the cutout lab

I think that the < magic wand mask tool is the best for a solid color 1 click and it is done and 2 clicks and deleted and maybe 1 click to set the tolerence.

Joe

Top 10 Contributor
Melbourne
Male
Brian replied on Fri, Feb 11 2011 22:36

Hi Joe,

thanks for that information, I didn't realise the Cutout Lab went back that far. I know in the 2nd or third version features were added, I am pretty sure the first ever version did not have the brushes to retouch the cutout after pressing the "Preview" button. I don't think it had the save as clip mask feature either.

I totally agree with you regarding using the Magic Wand tool for a simple solid colour against an opposing solid colour background. Sadly, I never seem to have to cut out those type of images...and when I do the subject is normally brightly lit on one side and blends in with the white background! LOL They are the worst images to work with, very brightly lit person with white background....blonde hair in particular.

Best regards,
Brian.

p.s. talking about the history of the Cutout Lab - it was a good example of why competition is healthy. It came out as a very basic tool and then Photoshop copied it, but added those retouch brushes within the dialog. Next thing you know, Corel brings out its next Cutout Lab with those brushes added, plus a few other things thrown in (clip mask, changing the background colour to view the cutout against, show original image...etc.) All of a sudden Photoshop dropped the feature altogether. It makes you wonder if they did not have permission to use it since it was virtually identical to Corel's tool. Seems odd they just dropped it. I have no facts on their reasoning for this, of course, and talking in mere speculation here.

Brian Melbourne

hi Brian, short of reinstalling I do forget what was available in earlier versions

as for photoshop I gave that away about version 6

I am quite happy with Corel Draw and Photo Paint and only use Paint Shop Pro because I teach it in a class once a week I get everything that I need out of Draw and Photo Paint

Joe

You are VERY right. The Harrison tutorial is quick and very good. Thank you so much!

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions / User Guidelines.