object manager loses focus, makes unintended changes

I have several documents with multiple layers, and by multiple I mean up to 100 or so. They are all very simple layers, most times with one word. The files are for printing to a laser engraver which has a standard shape on one layer, and the rest of the layers are single words that are centered to the shape layer. When I print, the shape layer is "visible" but not printable or selectable. Just one text layer is visible, printable, and selectable (for the purposes of printing "center/center" to the center of the wood piece being engraved). So, I'm only printing one layer at a time. 

Here's the issue: The object manager obviously has a multitude of layers, all of them invisible except for the layer to be actually printed, and the shape layer visible just for visual reference. Many times, when I change a layer to invisible from visible (or vice versa), or change a layer from printable to non-printable (or vice versa), or make a layer selectable to non-selectable (or vice versa), the object manager will jump to another layer entirely, marking that layer with the change I made to the original layer (while also making the desired change to the original layer). So, it's doing its job, and then some. If I change layer 27 to "visible", for example, object manager will also jump to layer 54 and make the same change. I have to change layer 54 back to "invisible" and scroll back to layer 27 to resume work. I'm lucky, I guess, that at least it goes right to the unintended layer when it does this jumping around, but I still have to find my original layer to resume work. It happens with every change, so I'm spending a lot of time jumping all over the layer list in object manager. I can't seem to come up with a pattern for this behaviour, it seems the layers with the unintended changes are randomly chosen. 

Sorry about the length of this question, but it's a little difficult to explain. I guess this might open up the discussion of "how many layers is too many layers", but these layers have extremely limited simple content.