text.. alternate characters

can anyone tell me why fonts using the "insert character" don't show all the character options?  I can get them using the drop down arrow.. but not all are always included.. but almost all of them don't show up in the insert text docker.  THEN... I have some fonts in 2019 that when selected don't show anything. It's frustrating as all get out...as I have a love affair with lettering and have THOUSANDS of fonts and alternates that I use daily for my business.  Being self taught... I have done a lot of trial and error.  I was an information systems major. along with Sales and Marketing. but we all know as soon as software or technology is released, it's almost outdated.  I started my own embroidery design business 10 years ago and have learned a LOT.. but it's all through Corel..and half the time I don't know the terms needed to look for a solution to whatever I am trying to do.  I love the insert character option.. but don't understand why that all the drop down alternates displayed when highlighting a character aren't visible using the insert docker...and neither display ALL the options.  

For instance, I have Noviela Pro.  I have installed TTF and OTF versions.. and neither show up on the insert character option.  Even with fonts that show some characters (Entire font selected) - i.e. an oldie but goodie "samantha upright pro" show other language options.. and some alternate characters.. but not wall.

Sorry for the novel.. but I have been using since X3 - and this has always been an issue.

thanks in advance for your expertise and helpful responses!

~Jacki