Filling in shapes imported from a CAD program

Hello,

I hope someone can help. I use CorelDraw for setting up my CAD files for my laser cutter.

I would like to 'fill' some closed objects for laser engraving, but no matter what I do, I cannot seem to fill the required parts.

I think I have uploaded the file with this post, if I have, could someone please look and tell me if it is possible? The parts I want filled are coloured black. It is driving me made not being able to do this!

Thank you,

Chris

Parents
  • The objects must be closed in order to be filled.
    Most likely your objects are either built up from separate segments (files imported from CAD programs usually are), or they are simply not properly closed.

1. Try to select an object and check the Status Bar. If it says "Curve" it is a single object and you can then see whether the "Close curve" icon is open or closed in Property Bar. Closing it should in most cases fix the problem.

2. But if the object is built up from several segments that are combined but not connected to each other, this won't work.
    You can then try the Join Curves docker instead, with the Extend option and maybe a suitable Gap tolerance value.
    Doing this with the Pick tool selected should fix all unconnected ends in one shot.
    With the Shape tool, you must select the end nodes first.

3. If Status Bar says "x selected objects" or "Group", there is a risk that your object is in fact a bunch of individual segments.
    Also in this case you should be able to use Join Curves to create a single, closed object.

Hope you find a solution.
    Would be interesting to see what you have to work with so please upload a file so we can have a look.

• 1mm prototype parts.zipHi, Thank you for your reply. The parts are all drawn in CAD, saved in DWG format and then opened in CorelDraw. I did try the Hatch command in CAD, but is never quite seems to get the curves right. I cannot really draw these shapes in CorelDraw, as I am not so used to the program, which I use mainly for putting my laser cut files together.

What I wanted to do was to engrave the black objects, which are shown as separate entities on the file, but are moved to the drawing in red (red and green is full laser cut and black is engraving).

I just assumed to could select the black coloured patterns and then fill - but clearly this is not so simple..

Children