Outlines on text

I've recently upgraded to Corel Draw Graphics Suite 2019 and I have a question re outlines on text. I want to put an outline around some text, but I want the outline behind the text fill. When I pull up the "properties" of the text, there are 2 boxes that can be checked . . . one of them says "overprint outline" and the other says "overprint fill," but when I check them, nothing happens.

I've used Corel Draw Version 8 for many years, and doing this was a very simple process. Can anyone tell me how to do this in Corel Draw 2019??

• The outline pen effect, IMHO, is kind of a kludge when it comes to applying effects to lettering. Too many things can (and do) go wrong with it. One problem is the effect is a live effect. If you apply a live outline effect to an object that has any chance of being scaled to a different size then you have to be sure to check the "scale with object" option.

Additionally, Coreldraw's implementation has the unfortunate characteristic of distorting the outline when objects are scaled disproportionately.  Also unfortunate is that the option to scale outline with object is not global.  It's on a per object basis so one must always remember to turn it on or off.  And if memory serves me well, you run into problems when there are objects with outlines and objects without outlines, and they're grouped together.  I can remember trying to find the objects that had outlines, and trying to toggle scale with object on for those because I couldn't simply select the entire group select scale with object.  Coreldraw ran into some kind of issue there.  Maybe things are different now in the latest releases.

Illustrator,and I think everything else does these things differently.  Scale outline with object is a global setting in Illustrator.  Set it once, and it stays that way forever.  It doesn't matter if objects are grouped or not since the setting is not on a per object basis.  And if you have a circle with an outline, turning that circle into an oval does not distort the outline.

However, Illustrator has a different problem with outlined objects and it might be worse than the Coreldraw issues.  If you take that same circle with an outline and decide to increase it's size by typing a new size in the dialog box, the result will not be what you expect.  If the circle is 5x5, and you want it to be 10 x 10, you type 10 in the dialog with constrain proportions locked.  The result?  10.1274  x 9.234646.  Something like that. Try to go back to 5 x 5 and you get a new weird result.  Go back to 10 and you will begin to see that your perfect circle is now an egg shape.  This problem is more pronounced if you have an object with thick outline.  This is the one thing that Adobe seems unable to resolve.  The only way to scale that object to a precise size is to manually grab a handle and scale it, maybe using guides.  Or to convert the outlines to curves before scaling.

• Coreldraw's implementation has the unfortunate characteristic of distorting the outline when objects are scaled disproportionately.  Also unfortunate is that the option to scale outline with object is not global.

These two can cause some confusion, that is true.

The ability to create calligraphic outlines by stretching an object has been a feature in Draw since, I don't remember but probably since version 5 or 6, and therefore I think it would be a bit risky to have a global setting for "Scale with objects".

It can be set to be the default for new objects though, and it is possible to select all objects and change them all in one shot, also objects in groups.