Corel Linux, a tour of the 1999 promotion.

WordPerfect isn't a name you hear too often these days. But there was a time when it was the king of word processing software. And sometime in the late '90s, Corel released a version of it for Linux. Oh... and an entire distro for it to run on. Let's check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cd6F5_FUt4

Just popped up on YouTube 2 hours ago.

Interesting history tour.

Parents Reply
  • Linux never captured a large enough group of software that was both functional and commercial to be viable in the graphics market.

Linux just evolves over time by the work of many in an environment of transparency.

I spent 2 weeks and cash to set up a perfect VM to run Windows under Linux. It gets a dedicated graphics card and a HDMI switcher.

I've never used it since! The lesser time wasting evil has been to just compromise on software choices and keep to Linux.

The question is what do I miss of CorelDraw? It's not functions but the interface. And the interface of Draw could still be improved but. The choices made between version 1.0 and 6 set the stage. The integration of layout, design and image with multi-page support..

The distance between Linux and corporate software will increase a little as Linux does battle over AI and ethics within the community. Ethics gets a leg up under Linux versus sales under corporate software.

The point of interest is evolution of full featuredness. Adding features in 1995 was pretty easy, it was what had been considered but which lacked developer time to implement. Once you get to 95% of most used features the tortoise starts to catch up to the hare.

I can't see any reason why an average user who needs office tools and a web browser should not be using Linux, KDE and open office stuff. You might loses parts of the last 5-10 years of MS features but not the quality of software increases that have happened in that time.

Children