After 4½ years my license suddenly "EXPIRED". I paid $149 for a license with no limit ever being mentioned.

On Jan 18, 2010 I purchased directly from the Corel Store a license for CorelDraw Grahics Suite X4 Upgrade for $149.  This license never mentioned any limitation as far as time.  It was working fine last month, then today it just quit working and up pops a message saying my license is expired.  I set the date on my PC clock back a couple months and it suddenly worked again.

This is unacceptable.  I paid to use this forever if I want to.  I've been a CorelDraw user since version 1.0. I must say that no other company has ever pissed me off more for all their price gouging BS.  This time I am not even upgrading and I am being held hostage yet again.

How can I resolve this without having to set my PC clock back all the time?

My order number was 8587836

Parents
  • Thank you Gerard for your rapid response. I will post an overview of what happened here for the public record.

It appears that when CoirelDraw worked after I set the date back was purely coincidental. When I tried to use CorelDraw the next morning it worked just fine. I then received the email from Gerard asking me to empty the temp directory. I went there and deleted nearly 40,000 files. The problem has not recurred. I expect that being borderline on the number of max TEMP files CorelDraw can deal with was causing the intermittent issue. I'm not understanding why the message would claim my license was "expired" however.

As part of my effort to resolve this problem I called the support number and also posted here. On the support call I was told I could not be supported unless I upgraded. Needless to say this did not sit well with me. I clearly explained my problem and that I was entitled to my software working beyond some random expiration date. There was no effort to even consider supporting me. Many things were said and implied by this rep that were quite wrong, like suggesting I had installed it many times, or that it wasn't installed on the original computer. All these things he menetioned were clearly allowed by the EULA, yet the rep suggested they would be considered wrong actions. I explained to him it was installed only once. After getting very upset with the Corel rep I thought to ask him if he was an actual Corel employee or if he was in India or some other part of the world. He stated he was with Corel India Division or Department. At that point I realized it was pointless talking to him and I quickly said goodbye and hung up. After all the years of paying for CorelDraw and upgrades amounting to more than $2k I was extremely upset at this point. As I told Gerard, Corel should review the script these guys in India are using. I do hope the call was recorded as was indicated when I called.

I am happy with the response from Gerard and even happier to know the guy in India was not the way Corel intends to treat customers. These days I am retired and I use CorelDraw only for small personal projects and I hope this version will last me a long time.
Reply Children
No Data