Has anyone noticed that X screws up color when exporting to PDF?

When you export a file to PDF for prepress the CYMK values do not stay correct. Try a spot color and check values in Corel, export to PDF prepress. Open in Photoshop or Paint and check values. They are no longer correct!! This works fine in X4 and makes X5 pretty useless for commercial printing.

Parents Reply
  • Hi David,

Took me a bit of time to come up with the detailed answer. I have read your article with Black Point Compensation (BPC) critique before, now I had a chance to look into test files you posted on FTP server. First, I have several rather serious issues with the arguments you use in your article. My biggest problem is that you are claiming Adobe BPC whitepaper to say things, and rather ridicoulous things at that, they never actually did say. Here is the link to your BPC post http://community.coreldraw.com/forums/t/19601.aspx, and here is the link to Adobe BPC whitepaper - http://www.color.org/AdobeBPC.pdf, probably the best existing technical explanation of BPC, for anybody who cares to read, check facts and make their own conclusions. 

1) In your article you state

: After using a full search of the ICC ( International Color Consortium) specification document I have been unable to find any support for such a standard. So BPC is ONLY AN ADOBE THING!

Ironically, the BPC paper you are citing is posted on www.color.org, the official website of ICC. BPC is a subject discussed at pretty much every ICC conference, by the people who do not have any warm fuzzy feeling towards Adobe. The simple fact is that ICC v2 spec failed to address black point issues, the reason why this issue has to be corrected outside of the ICC v2 spec.

Claiming that BPC is not an ICC thing is simply not correct. Please read this thread - http://lists.apple.com/archives/Colorsync-users/2009/Feb/msg00071.html. And if you are excited to see Graeme Gill, creator of Argyll CMS, to be against BPC - do not be too hasty. Graeme is very factual man, and he merely points to the fact that BPC, regardless of its merits, should be implemented in the ways that do not contradict ICC v2 spec. Nothing more, nothing less. Aa a creator of CMS he has an ideal way to address the problem directly, the black point mapping can be incorprated into LUT-based profiles generated by Argyll CMS. As a user, not CMS creator/profile maker, you can not do that.

It is not "ONLY AN ADOBE THING" - Lcms, Argyll, WCS - they all do have ways to address black points mismatch problem, by the way without resorting to particular Adobe BPC algorithm.

Waiting untill ICC comes up with some solution for black point problem does not help real users at all. Majority of color profiles out there are V2, and this is going to stay for quite long time. 

2)

Well isn’t that dandy? Not only is BPC not supported by the ICC even Adobe admits that it should not be necessary

Adobe makes no such admissions, they do not need to. You are making quite a big leap concluding that as far as BPC is not required for Perceptual intent it is not required at all. You are completely ignoring Perceptual vs Relative Colorimetric intents usability issues, something that is pretty obvious for anybody knowing how these things really work.

3)

How about this for a silly option? Remove bad or malformed profiles from your system and stick with perceptual rendering and ICC standards? NAH! Why do that? Let’s create something that confuses the entire process even more then it already is!!!

You are either ignoring or not aware of the issues that surrounds use of Perceptual rendering intent with ICC color profiles. What BPC whitepaper means, and this is obvious for anybody who cares to read ICC specs and examine insides of exisiitng ICC color profiles, is that a lot of color profiles out there do not have Perceptual transform, period. By the way this does not even make them malformed profiles in all cases. Matrix based color profiles are by definition contain only colorimteric transform. You try to use Perceptual intent with them - there is none - your shadow areas get squished. In quite common situation when profile contains perfectly valid relative colorimertic transform and user's workflow dictates the use of Relative colorimetric intent Perceptual is simply not an option, the only way to salvage blacks is BPC. Removing bad or malformed profiles most often not an option either. First of all because not always these profiles are even "bad" or "malformed" in any way. Second - how end user is really supposed to replace them?  

As for the test files on your FTP server - from my understadning they where intended to illustrate the point the Perceptual intent mapping produces identical results with Relative Colorimetric intent mapping with BPC, hence prooving, in your opinion, that  BPC is completely unnecessary. David, this is a mute point, both BPC and Perceptual intents preserve black point and shadow areas, this is a reason why BPC simply not necessary on top of correctly performed Perceptual mapping, this is stated clearly in any BPC description. These test files do not address two vital points though, one of which I have already mentioned - Perceptual intent is not always awailable. The second point is that Perceptual intent is NOT the same thing as Relative Colorimertic with BPC, period. They more or less match in shadow, closer to pure black, areas. They do not match outside of shadow area. There are situations, and this is not governed merely by how different source and target gamut volumes are, where Perceptual intent is undesirable. Every time you advise of using Perceptual intent over default Relative Colorimetric one you choose to omit this point completely. Perceptual intent WILL shift even in-gamut colors, something that is unexpected/undesirable for way too many workflows. You are not even warning users about this outcome.

Picture is worth a thousand words, here are illustrations that hopefully will actually help to explain Perceptual vs Relative Colorimteric and Perceptual vs. Relative Colorimtertic with BPC issues. 

Gennady

Children