32- or 64-bits ?

Hi, I'm new here. I haven't even really used Corel DRAW yet.

We just ordered a laser engraver. Now the next step for me is to order a dedicated PC and Corel DRAW, which seems to be quite a standard software to design and format engravings. I'm actually training on the trial version these days.

My question is : should we get the 32-bits or 64-bits version of Windows 7 ? Is there any reason we should choose one over the other to optimize the use of Corel X5?

I believe most laser engraver drivers still run on 32-bits, so I'm leaning in that direction. I'd appreciate if someone more up to date could  tell me the status of X5 in this respect.

Thanks!

Parents
No Data
  • CorelDRAW X5 suite is still a 32 bit application.

If the new system that you are purchasing, will be used only for the engraver, then Win7 - 32 bit is fine, especially if you are not able to find Win 7 - 64 bit drivers for it. On the other hand, if the new system will be used for more than just the engraver, you may want to revisit your engraver purchase or think about using another means to drive the engraver (using a Virtual Machine with a 32 bit Windows, running under a 64 bit windows 7, or another, older PC that is just an interface to the engraver.)

As for the future, I do not know, nor does anyone on this forum, outside of Corel, (and they are not talking about it) when CorelDRAW will be 64 bit, assuming that it will be 64 bit, someday. Anyway, the current 64 bit Windows will run 32 bit applications, just fine.

So, choosing between 32 bit and 64 bit, is a toss up, at this point. I would recommend that you purchase 64 - bit hardware (64 bit, multi-core CPU) and such and install a 32 bit Windows 7 O/S. That way, if you choose, later, to run with 64 bit system, you have to change only the Windows O/S to a 64 bit version.

Children