CORELDRAW BACKUPS

I hate the backup files being created in the artwork folder I am working on.  I have tried to set a backup folder but even though you add that information in the setup options, the backup files are still created in the folder you are using.  Is there anyway to force the backups to be saved in a folder that I have created called CorelDraw Backups ??  Thanks

Parents
  • I have been testing this macro for several months.

It has several functions:

• Define your own prefix for the backup name
    • Choose your own backup folder
    • Organise backups to alphabetic subfolders
    • Several options for keeping multiple backups
    • Rename @@@cdr.tmp files 

As an example, if you enable backup naming by the minute (as above), and you save at 24 minute past the hour, you will create a backup containing 24 as part of the filename. This will not be overwritten until you next save a file at 24 minutes past any hour. Consequently, you will keep several backup copies which are likely to include some from previous days, weeks and months because you are unlikely to save at the same minutes each day. So if you accidentally delete something important but do not notice for several days, you stand a reasonable chance of still having a backup where you can retrieve the deleted content to copy into the current version.

I haven't yet found the time to write anything for weeding excessive multiple backups, so if you enable this facility you will need either a lot of space on your backup drive, or will need to manually weed the backups occasionally. The "by the minute" naming can theoretically create up to 60 backups and if you enable it together with "date" naming you can get an infinite number.

I have only tested it in X6, but it may work in earlier versions.

Instructions:

• Find the GMS folder - which will be something like C:\Users\Harry\AppData\Roaming\Corel\CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6\Draw\GMS for X6, depending on your user name.
    • Place the GMS file there and restart CorelDraw
    • Open a CDR file, configure your options and save them.
    • Thereafter, use CorelDraw as normal -- but after saving several files, check it has created backups either alongside your documents or in the specified folder.

Initially, preferences will open every time you open a CDR file. You can turn preferences off with by unticking the "show preferences ..." box. Backups will continue to run using your saved preferences. Afterwards if you want to change preferences you will need to go to Tools > Macros > Run and restart Useful Backups from there.

UsefulBackups.gms
Reply Children