Problem with pixel printing Transparency and drop shadow

Hi everyone,

I'm exporting files as .eps to print them with my roland printer using versaworks.

The problem is when i'm exporting files from my desk computer, (CorelDraw X6) and then I print it I have this problem. my bitmap components in the file are printed with many more pixel than before. and I don't know why.

Maybe since I updated my X6 version? It does that with files that contain drop shadow effects or transparency.

The thing is when i'm exporting the same file with my Laptop, using Coreldraw X5 and I then print it, I  don't have this problem. So the printer's software is not the problem. I double cheked all my .eps exporting settings and they are the same in both computer.

You can see on these pictures what's right and what's wrong.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Jon

Parents
No Data
  • Jon

The EPS file format doesn't support transparency very well. Therefore, the export filter converts all areas affected by the transparency to bitmaps. This must have happened also with X5 but there must be a setting that is different, that makes it more visible now.

I can see two ways around it:

1. Try using PDF instead of EPS. PDF (Acrobat 5 and higher) supports transparency much better than EPS.
    I had VersaWorks myself for a couple of years and it did a great job with PDF.
    You must still keep an eye on it though, and there may be some problems if the file contains bitmaps with transparent background, but once you learn what can be expected, there's no need to use EPS at all. Besides, the PDFs are much smaller. :-)

2. Flatten the image before exporting. In short; convert all parts of the layout that are affected by the transparency (usually the "background") into one or a couple of bitmaps, but leave vector objects (text for example) on top of it untouched.
    Properly done, this is the safest way to control how it prints.
    Remember to save a copy of the file before you start flattening, in case you need to go back and change anything.

Sometimes a combination of 1. and 2. is the best way to go.

Like I said, this happens because of limitations in the EPS format, and there's not much Corel or we can do about it except using workarounds.

Children
No Data