Importing AI File into CorelDraw

I often receive AI files from clients (especially logos) which I need to bring into CorelDraw. If the AI file contains tones or gradient fills or transparency, those parts would often end up differently when imported into CorelDraw. 

Is it possible to make the AI file imported correctly? Maybe some workaround.

Thanks.

Parents
  • Hi Ross, I don't think it's color setting issue. As David points out, most of the time it's the wrong use of transparency in the AI file. Usually I'll just redo the gradient if it's a simple artwork. I'm using X6.

Hi Chris, opening an AI file with Photoshop will convert it into a bitmap, isn't it? In that case, it's not necessary to save it as PDF from Photoshop and import the PDF into Coreldraw, as I can just import the converted bitmap instead.

Hi Ronny, the result is similar as importing the AI file.

Hi Myron, I can convert the AI file to PDF using Illustrator, but the result is similar.

Hi David, they are sending AI file format. When I import it into Coreldraw, it shows the embedded profile as U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2, which is same as what I use with Coreldraw. I agree with the misuse of transparency. Many AI files I received are using transparency to create gradient fill.

Hi George, I'm yet to switch to X7. If you would like to try, here is the file: http://we.tl/TeSnFAPjeP

Anyway, since it's just a logo that I do not need to edit, I just open the AI file with Photoshop and resize it accordingly, and use the bitmap in Coreldraw.

Reply Children