Software for writing novels

I've written three books using CDraw because it was easy to set the page up to mimic the pages in print, but I had problems with spell checking, find/replace text, etc in chapters beyond 15 or so pages. Is there anybody who has written a novel (80k+ words) and can recommend a decent piece of software? I'm not looking for bells and whistles or anything that employs templates, just a straightforward writing environment on a Windows laptop. Grammar check is a must as I seem to be word blind to what's actually typed! Not MS Word, please!

Parents
No Data
  • Hi Shelley,

Im an illustrator and designer who also writes. Not long novels, but still writes quite a lot.

Let me start by mentioning Scrivener. I attach the Wikipedia page for scrivener and their website link
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrivener_(software)

Great program for certain type of writing. It might be your favorite. I have professional novel and acript writer friends who use it extensively. Very cool program.

I don't use Word, but have no problems with it. It does what its suppose to. Same goes for Open office and Libre Office, and Corel WordPerfect.

On my main work computer, a laptop because I work so mobile, I have installs Libre Office and WordPerfect X7. I enjoy both of them. I tend to use Libre Office more often. I have been a heavy user of Open Office since it was called Star Office, and when i stopped using Word.

I do think looking into Scrivener can be a thing for you. But thing with Word is that so many uses it. And compatibility wise I think saving documents in .doc 97/2007? have shown to be the most easy file to open on multiple devices. Heck even a docx made in word and wordpad is like two different file extensions with the same name.
Children