Need help to understand export/import of Pantone

I am working on a logotype that is made with Pantone 640C with 100%, 65% and 40% tints. I have defined a palette with Pantone spot colors (using the tree first colors for this logo, see below). So far so good, everything looks ok!

The color PANTONE 640C was defined by Palettes --> Palette libraries --> SPOT --> PANTONE+ --> SOLID COATED V2 --> PANTONE 640C. This gives a CMYK of 100, 11, 4, 19, which seems fairly close to the 100, 10, 3. 16 which is defined by PANTONE color finder (https://www.pantone.com/color-finder/640-C).

I then export the logotype to EPS format (which will be used by most of the organization when we send the logo to whomever is going to print things for us). When I import the eps back into CorelDraw though, it uses another definition of PANTONE 640, namely Palette libraries --> SPOT --> PANTONE --> Previous Version --> Solid Coated --> PANTONE 640C, which yields a CMYK of 80, 23, 8, 12. This is of course a bit troublesome, as it is a very different color (even to me who is half color blind).

So, the questions:

1. What CMYK values would someone else see who opens the eps-file, and why? One friend opened it in Illustrator and found CMYK 78, 43, 3, 0 (which is different again).

2. Why are there two different libraries for PANTONE in CorelDraw?

3. Why is the wrong (old) one used when importing eps files? Can I do something about that?

4. Why does neither the new (PANTONE+) nor the old (Previous Version) library give the same CMYK value as PANTONE's color finder?

5. How would I go about saving with fixed CMYK values in eps-file rather than with some PANTONE label?

Being a newbie for this sort of thing, I would very much appreciate some advice!

Parents
No Data
  • 1. What CMYK values would someone else see who opens the eps-file, and why? One friend opened it in Illustrator and found CMYK 78, 43, 3, 0 (which is different again).

CMYK values are different according to color profile of the document. It's not the same if you use RGB as primary color mode than use CMYK, but also it's different to use Fogra 27 as CMYK color profile than ISO Coated v2, for example.

Moreover, on CorelDRAW you should go to Tools/

Pantone colors are supposed to be used as spot colors, not as reference of CMYK. 

2. Why are there two different libraries for PANTONE in CorelDraw?

There're several versions according with the version, because the company Pantone change their values periodically. CorelDRAW only update the libraries according with the changes made for Pantone inc

3. Why is the wrong (old) one used when importing eps files? Can I do something about that?

once again, it's relative to the color profile on the process (when export and when import)

4. Why does neither the new (PANTONE+) nor the old (Previous Version) library give the same CMYK value as PANTONE's color finder?

same as previous answers, if you use the same library (such as Pantone + v2) and the same color profile, you will have the same results on Photoshop, Illustrator and CorelDRAW

5. How would I go about saving with fixed CMYK values in eps-file rather than with some PANTONE label?

If you want to use CMYK values, use the Pantone Color Brige Guide as reference, according with the color profile and paper

Children
No Data