Font Manager X8 in Domain (restricted users)

Hi,

we are using corel in a windows domain (sbs2011, users have win7proX64) in which users have only restricted rights (aka normal user accounts, not admin).

With corel x7 and bitstream font navigator i was able to create a shim db that evokes the exe of bitstream to admin rights using the

microsoft application compatibility toolkit. You had to create an application fix and choose "run as invoker".

The new font manager x8 calls the "FontService.exe", which is also in the Programs64 Folder, when installing a font.

creating an application fix for "FontService.exe" doesn't seem to work. i tried many combinations of different levels of rights but it always asks for administrator permission when installing a new font. i can see that the font manager calls fontservice with an parameter that holds the information about the location of the font database. our users have access rights to this folder since its in AppData.

Does anyone have an idea what else i could do?

Please @Corel create a way to use the Font Manager in a professional setting like a domain. It was possible with the Bitstream Navigator.

Thanks for any Infos

Parents
  • @David: i know that font installation as restriced user is something that corel can't fix. i want their assistance. iam posting this to find a solution in cooperation so that other companies that have a windows domain with restricted users can profit from it. i've found a solution for the bitstream fontnavigator in some forum and in my opinion there should be one for font manager x8 aswell.

@Lawrence: "With your X7 setup, who invokes Font navigator?" The shim creates a layer between the application and windows. installing a shim requires admin rights. that creates an environment where the application thinks it has admin priviliges not knowing that a shim installed by an admin that gave the right. here is a manual http://www.ghacks.net/2010/07/08/get-rid-of-uac-prompts-with-microsofts-application-compatibility-toolkit/
    and the link to the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7352

i created a shim for both fontmanager.exe and font service.exe and it didn't work. i tried run as invoker, run as highest, run as admin. you said that: "...and then ran font manager as admin and installing/uninstalling...". did you mean the shim db or did you start the font manager as admin?
Reply Children
No Data