after "combine" unconnected lines wont fill with color

sorry if this has been asked a million times. I am so novice I don't even know how formulate a coherent question enough to search for an answer to see if this has been addressed already or not.

so say I draw a circle. than inside of that circle I draw a semicircle. once I combine these two layers and try to fill it in with a color, the semicircle creates an imaginary line from the one end node to the other that wont fill with color. how can I prevent this?

I am trying to do a line drawing. Once im done drawing all the lines, im trying to layer it into one element to then fill shade ect. Yet with the afore mentioned problem it wont weld or combine into one curve or path so I can color it accordingly. it always has these random shapes inside the design that wont fill.

thank you for your expertise.

Parents
No Data
  • Open objects (lines, curves and arcs for example) do not show their fill by default in Draw.
    But by combining them with a filled object you force them to be filled, resulting in this strange result.

You say you're a novice so I guess you have not yet learnt and accepted how to work with vector objects.
    Unlike pixel based drawing (bitmaps) or "analogue" drawing (pen and paper) vector work is usually not built up of lines that separate different colored areas, instead it is built from layered objects.

The right thing for you to do in this case is probably to create the circle, give it whatever kind of fill you want, then place the open semi circle on top of it.
    Do not combine them because then they will get the same fill and outline. You may Group them together if you like, that won't affect how they look and they are still individual objects that can be colored separately.
Children
No Data