General questions on Corel Draw

I am not familiar with either Corel Draw or the other graphic program (Adobe).  I am hoping someone can help me figure out what I need to buy.  I am looking for a program that I can use to make lettering and graphic files and send to a cutter.  I also want to be able to change bmp files to vector files.  I would need to save in .plt format.   I would also want to be able to put together a graphic to print and then transfer to a T shirt.  I don't understand Corel Draw.  Do I have to puchase the program piece by piece?  Is Corel Draw Graphic Suite X3 a stand alone product or ?.  Thanks for any help you can give me.

• Cracker,
    Several folks on this newsgroup use CorelDRAW to create files for
    cutters. It seems to be very popular among sign makers and T shirt
    printers. I'm not one of either vocation, so can't answer all your
    questions, but I'll answer what I can. If you repost your question with
    "cutter" or ".plt" in the subject line somewhere, I bet they'll jump in.

CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X3 is a complete set of programs including
    vector and bitmap editing. There is a bitmap to vector program built
    into the vector program. Depending on your bitmap, it can do good
    things, but some bitmaps just can't be converted directly no matter what
    program you use and you'll end up redrawing them. There are text
    capabilities built into the program and it includes a font manager. A
    LOT of clip art also ships with CGSX3 as well as a HUGE collection of fonts.

CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X3 includes CorelDRAW (primarily vectors, text
    and page layout, though it can handle bitmaps - it includes PowerTRACE -
    the bitmap to vector program built in), Corel PhotoPaint (primarily
    bitmap manipulation),Bitstream Font Manager, and a few other little
    utilities as well all in one box. It's well worth the price you pay for
    it and is a lot less expensive than that other program.

We also have lots of friendly folks on our forums who like to answer
    questions from new users.

Hope that helps.
    Val P.

cracker wrote:
    > I am not familiar with either Corel Draw or the other graphic program
    > (Adobe). I am hoping someone can help me figure out what I need to
    > buy. I am looking for a program that I can use to make lettering and
    > graphic files and send to a cutter. I also want to be able to change
    > bmp files to vector files. I would need to save in .plt format. I
    > would also want to be able to put together a graphic to print and then
    > transfer to a T shirt. I don't understand Corel Draw. Do I have to
    > puchase the program piece by piece? Is Corel Draw Graphic Suite X3 a
    > stand alone product or ?. Thanks for any help you can give me.
    >
    >
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > http://community.coreldraw.com/forums/p/1154/3886.aspx#3886
    >
  • cracker said:

I am not familiar with either Corel Draw or the other graphic program (Adobe).  I am hoping someone can help me figure out what I need to buy.  I am looking for a program that I can use to make lettering and graphic files and send to a cutter.  I also want to be able to change bmp files to vector files.  I would need to save in .plt format.   I would also want to be able to put together a graphic to print and then transfer to a T shirt.  I don't understand Corel Draw.  Do I have to puchase the program piece by piece?  Is Corel Draw Graphic Suite X3 a stand alone product or ?.  Thanks for any help you can give me.

Let me answer this piece by piece (no pun intended), if I can.

For vinyl cutting (sign vinyl and thermo-film heat transfer for garments) I have a stand-alone cutting program that was bundled with my cutter. However, I also use Corel Draw X3, along with another program, CoCut, for cutting vinyl and thermo-film. Many of the designs that I receive, are in electronic format and there is always some "clean up" or touch up required and that is where Corel shines. I can edit nodes to simplify cut strokes on the plotter, I can easily adjust any graphic to simplify the design, especially when I am doing multi-color (multi-layer) thermo-film designs for shirts.

Many of the electronic files, come in as jpegs, *.ai (adobe illustrator format), *.eps, etc. The jpegs and many of the graphics are raster images. I use Corel to vectorize the  image(s) before allowing them to go to the plotter.

I use Corel Draw as my primary graphics program for printing on garments with my Direct To Garment printer. I print everything from simple text to the most complex photographs directly onto clothing. I simply use Corel Draw suite and the printer driver, just like an ordinary (paper) printer, attached to the PC.

I know that Adobe illustrator can do much of what Corel can do, in these cases. But I do enjoy working with Corel over Illustrator. It is true that my experience with Corel is greater than that with Illustrator, however, when I was trying both of them, side by side, I could accomplish the same goal in Draw, almost twice as fast as I could with Illustrator, simply because of the wide range of tools available and the intuitive interface that Draw has. In simple words, I got twice the work done in Draw that I could do in Illustrator (and pull half as much hair out of my head Big Smile).

To see what others, along this industry line, has, look for the thread(s) under the topic of General Graphics -> Engraving & Vinyl Cutting ->  Vinyl Cutters.

Which plotter do you have (or intending to purchase)? I do know that you can export a Draw file to a *.plt file for HPGL compatible plotters. If you have a "printer driver" for your plotter, that allows it to show up as a "printer" under windows, you probably can send the deisgn directly from Draw to the plotter, just like it was to go to your inkjet (or laser) printer.

Now, for the last part of your question: Corel Draw is a suite of programs that allows you to work in, both raster and vector modes. Actually, there are several programs in the suite, one aimed at drawing (no pun, here) and one aimed at photo work. These, along with many other parts and programs, allow a full creative environment for just about anything graphic that you can think of. When you bring in a raster image into Draw, and you need it to be a vector image, Draw can trace the image and give you the vectorized image. Even when the vectored image is only a small part of the overall design. I would suggest that you visit the Corel main web page and look around. There are many, here, who can help you get started and can answer your many questions. I have been using Corel Draw over some time, now, and I hang out here and other places (Corel's own news groups, etc.) and every day, I learn something new that I did not know before. You will find there are many ways to accomplish the same goal, in Draw. Fascinating!

Hope this helps you some....if you have any question, post 'em and someone will try to answer them....

Hugh 

• Hi, Cracker:

Just wanted to chime in on how great CorelDRAW is compared to Adobe Illustrator (both are vector-based drawing programs with text, layout, and bitmap capabilities as well.) 

I learned vector drawing on Illustrator, and then was turned onto CorelDRAW.  I have been an advocate ever since. My husband pooh-poohed me for years whenever I would go on about the superiority of DRAW.  Finally, after 10 years of working solely with Illustrator, he had to use Corel for a new job.  Well, he was converted!   Yes

Just wanted to share.

~Monaliza