Setting a Drawing Scale

I must be missing something obvious.  I want to create a scaled drawing.  I make geologic cross sections with drill holes that are 500 to 1000' deep.  I would like to set the drawing scale to something like 1"=250'.  So a 1000 foot drill hole would be a line 4 inches long on the screen.  I have gone to the Drawing Scale List and figured out how to create a new scale, but nothing I try allows me to change the drawing scale from 1:1.  I can edit the list, but I can't change the 1:1 default.  I have tried right clicking, double clicking etc.  It seems that the drawing area stays at the original 1:1 scale.  What am I doing wrong? I want to make a drawing where I can give the Line command the coordinates 250,0 and it draws a vertical line 1 inch long.  I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Parents
  • The drawing should be 1:1 scale always. If a drill hole is 1000ft., then make it 1000ft. Scale only matters when printed onto paper. 

You can set it in draftingoptions but you already seem to know that - Have you changed the units you're working in as well?

Also, at 1:250 scale, a line drawn from 0,0 to 250,0 would be 1 foot long if your screen was 1:1 and your units were feet - to be 1" you'd need a scale of 1:3000  - so that doesn't make any sense to me but I might be misunderstanding what you're trying to achieve.

I would think that you would draw your drawing at the appropriate scale for your application. Set the scale for printing it on paper.  Use your mouse-wheel to zoom in and out of the screen, because scale doesn't really mean anything on the screen, especially since the program has no idea how big your screen is...  But it means something on paper- so that's what Scale affects.

Sorry it's not very good advice - but I don't fully understand what you're asking. If I look at it at face value, I'd say "draw a line 250 feet long, then use your mouse wheel until it's 4" long on the screen". If you can supply some more information, I'll do my best to answer it. 

Regards
    David

Reply Children