Upconversion of Corel Designer 10 drawings

I have a few drawings which were last edited in Corel Designer 10, version 10.407, on a Windows XP system.  I am now running the same software on a Windows 7 computer, fully patched.  

I installed the software under Windows 7, with apparent success.  When I start the program, it offers to update the program's links to the Corel Web site, but that fails without much fuss, and continues into the main drawing page.

I have opened one of the files, renamed it and saved it, all OK.  I printed the entire document.  One of the pages is larger than the printer paper size, and only the center of the page prints.  It doesn't shrink, even though I selected that as an option.  

However, when I try to edit that specific page, Windows 7 tells me there was a problem, and shuts the program down immediately.  I infer that there  is a symbol on the page which is "bad" or not available in the installation as set up on the new computer,so there is a memory fault in the Corel software.

First question:  Must I convert to a newer version of Designer to figure out the problem?  The old version would meet my needs, if it just worked like it used to.  I appreciate that the company won't support its legacy stuff, but I really don't need any fancy new capabilities.

Is there a Corel debugging log or other way to identify what the problem is?  Windows 7 is singularly unhelpful.

If I do convert, will a newer version even read the old files?  Which newer version would I choose?

Parents
No Data
Reply Children
No Data