Bundlng and Upgrade Path

I'm trying to get my head around the Technical Suite bundling scheme, relative to Draw X7.

I just updated Designer Technical Suite to X6 in August of 2013. What do you fellow Designer users typically do when a new version of Draw is released, but a corresponding version of Designer is not? Do you go ahead and upgrade the Draw Suite, or wait until a new version of Technical Suite is announced? If one doesn't upgrade the Draw Suite to the latest version, does one end up suffering an upgrade price "penalty" due to not upgrading from the most recent version? If one goes ahead and upgrades every new version of Draw as soon as it's announced, does one end up with costly "upgrade glut" because Designer versions occur between Draw versions?

I actually prefer working in Designer over Draw even for general commercial illustration, not just for techish drawing, and can get away with that for the majority of my work. But I like to keep up-to-date with all my programs, and would like to maintain current working and conversational familiarity with Draw as well as Designer. So I like the fact that they are bundled (so long as they continue as two separate programs), but they are so similar that the bundling of them is a bit awkward, given that they don't maintain version parity.

It's similar to the historic situation with Adobe's insistence on releasing new versions of Acrobat Pro between new versions of its Creative Suite bundles. I've repeatedly been "hit twice" by upgrade cycles when keeping Acrobat up-to-date, and want to avoid that kind of situation here.

Frankly, it seems to me that the Draw X7 upgrade should be lower-priced for current-version licensees of the higher-priced Technical Suite, given that the two programs are so similar and assumedly Designer users consider Draw rather "secondary".

(Please don't trot out any advice for rent-based licensing. I'm not at all interested in that; it's why Adobe has lost my business completely.)

JET

• Hi James

I gave up trying to figure this out back in 1995 I just pay the bill for what we want and go.  I always download a trial and check if new feature are frills or needs I have waited as long as 4 versions x4 was my first from draw 11.

X7 was  the first I didn't download Trial because I was premium member, 99 was a deal based on posted sneak peaks etc. We use x4 in a separate nametag engraving business because we just wouldn't use other features, so feature check is the key for us to determine value of upgrades. The version learning curve of changes can be expensive which is a consideration for me as we have 16 systems now in total.

It will be interesting to see Adobe's financials next year. as one of the suppliers with a very high % of illegal copies in actual use, they may have fewer users in future but likely more revenue.   One good upgrade set with compelling useable features will be needed to get people back on board

Like you, I won't be on a subscription plan. I'll use CS6 for what I must have, and hope Corel can get up to speed on new features.  If Corel need revenue they could sell a good add on perspective & 3d pack for $399 - $599  easily to those who really want to dump Adobe in the graphics market, just adding Open type brought me back.

The version pricing In my mind shouldn't be related to other items purchased, that is just shell game, a program is either fair value for features or not.

I have several competitors that are really worried Adobe is going to add new basic features in the Cloud versions that won't be able to be saved back, just like transparency in X7 that will thin the field of illegal users quickly. We run into shops with their whole business running on illegal software all they do is lowball prices. The disappointing part is some have good designers.

We hired a designer six months ago who looked to be in a daze after 2 days. He couldn't believe everyone had their own paid for copies no unplugging from networks no fear of contacting vendors for help. he had been working in a shop of 12 for 10 years with no legal copies of anything. he now understands value and the correct use of administrative rights on a system.

I think Corel offer good value depending on need but don't update with out reasons.

Ross Blair

• I would love to be a Premium Member for Corel Technical Suite but unfortunately that does not appear to be an opportunity?

Taking out a Premium Membership for just CorelDRAW, purchased as part of the Tech Suite, if it is possible is somewhat short of a halfway house.

I am not at all interested in 'renting' and Adobe CS3 is no longer supported on the later Mac OSs, so it was a case of swinging back to Corel because the latter also has the ability to natively handle the myriad of sketches produced in my pre Mac years.

@JET

I opted for the Tech Suite because Designer offers useful tools to create 3D style sketches amongst many more technical type tools. Personally I would like to have seen DRAW updated rather than a separate Program. DRAW is still my favourite, horses for courses.

G