Slowdowns in DRAW copy and paste

This is likely a Windose problem, and probably related to all the spyware and keyboard monitoring, etc., that seems endemic here (type a character and the HD lights up), but I thought I ought to throw it out there in case there's an easy fix.

Basically, about 2/3's of the time, when I run DRAW, I get these massive slowdowns.  This an XP-Pro system with plenty of RAM, HD space, and a reasonably fast processor, and it happens at random, so I don't think it's a system problem per se.  The worst aspect is the copy and paste function.  Copying a single text line can tie the system up for 30secs or more, and paste is about three times as bad.

I used to have a dedicated back-up HD that had some kind of software running that seemed to be related to this, as when the local sysop removed it - since it turned out that it was not EVER actually backing up automatically, the problem got a lot more manageable.  Of course, that left me without any backup except the company intranet, but that's a separate issue.  Any ideas as to why a simple copy and paste would tie up DRAW?  It doesn't happen - ever - if I use the CTRL D, instead of CTRL C/V, so it's strictly related to the Windose clip board.  But, it ONLY happens with DRAW (X3)... 

Thanks for any help...