Corel 10 brightness-contrast-intensity not working after install on windows 7 professional

Purchased a new Dell computer first week of April with Windows 7 Professional operating system (bigger, better and faster). I then installed my Corel DRAW 10 without any problems. The trouble is when I click the 'Image' button I get the drop down menu but when I click the brightness-contrast-intensity to make adjustments for a photo in Corel PHOTO PAINT 10 (as before with old computer and Windows XP) the window to make these adjustments does not open ? When I click the Help menu button I get a window that says 'Failed to launch help' and another window that says:  

Why can't I get help from this program?

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows. However, you can download a program that will allow you to view Help created in the Windows Help format.

For more information, go to the Microsoft Help and Support website.

Anybody run into this before ? Any ideas as to a fix ?

Thanks,

Past Joys and Toys

• It could be that CD 10 is about 14 years old. And MS Windows has moved on. While I think they should have built support for the old help file format, they don't take advice from me.

Someone with 10 still installed and running in Windows 7 is going to have to step in and help troubleshoot.

• Version 10 is about 10 years older than windows 7, so clearly Corel did not have a copy of windows 7 during its development. Officially supported versions included Win 98, Win Me, NT 4 and windows 2000.

It is possible that some people have managed to get version 10 to work in windows 7, either by applying compatibility settings or, more likely, by installing XP mode and running in win 2000 compatibilty mode within that.

Instructions for installing XP mode are at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7 but you will be aware from that page that microsoft is no longer supporting that solution, or anything else involving XP.

• Hello PastJoysandToys; I'm running a program from the mid 90's in XP mode of Windows That IBM bought them out and not upgraded the program. you have to have at least the Pro ver.of Windows for it to work in Windows 7. ( But the help still doesn't work but the program runs fine.)

George

• Hi.

Run Windows 98 in a virtual machine. You can use this and it's free. Then it will operate in the OS it was designed for so all should work nicely.

• Any luck getting this to work? I have the same issue. I have Corel 10 and Windows 7 and none of the Image Adjust windows will open. I found a work around by opening all the dockers and toolbars. The Effect Toools Toolbar will allow you to adjust the brightness and contrast using a NIB shape;  I made mine huge to adjust the whole image. Anyone else have any other solution to this?