Having a hard time with snapping

Hi there,

I'm not quite sure to understand whether I'm missing something about Coreldraw's snapping features, or if it's just the way it works.

In the screencap below, I recorded three attempts at snapping two shapes by matching their respective corner position.

The first attempt fails miserably. I was picking an inside area of the second shape, so I guess it's hard for Coreldraw to guess what I'm trying to snap and the result is that the two corners are not perfectly adjacent.

In the second attempt, I de-selected the second shape by clicking outside of the shape, then clicked on the nearest point next to the node I want to snap, and it finally snapped where I wanted.  Is not exactly a straightforward process, if this is the way it works it means every time I have to de-select and click carefully near to the node.

Then I tried by clicking directly on the node and it ended up behaving as if I had the Shape Tool active, which is kind of unexpected.

It seems this would prove that I need to de-select first, which is an extra step.

Lastly, I tried to click on the area next to the node again, but this time it didn't work: not only the nodes are not matching but now even the two shapes are not adjacent.

It seems the experience with the snapping so far is not exactly as smooth as I hoped it would be.

Perhaps I'm missing some part of the workflow?

So far my impression is that the only way for this to work is a hit & miss type of approach: I have to keep trying clicking near to the node hoping that it will perfectly snap, but without any guarantee it will.