"Crossgrades" ???

OK, both a question and discussion. Years ago Corel abandoned the Mac platform. Now they are back. Great. Those of us who kept CorelDraw in a VM running windows can now stop doing that, but I'm really irked that if I want to move the software back to the native platform of choice for me (Mac OS X), I can't upgrade from CorelDraw 2018 and have to do a full purchase again (or go to the subscription model).

Corel, come on, can you please reconsider this and offer an upgrade for those of us who didn't want to move to Windows to run CorelDraw, but were forced to do so? 

-Wayne

• I agree it's a bad idea for Corel to limit existing customers to either Windows or Mac OSX. It's a bad idea for multiple reasons.

I could understand it if the customer was buying a physical copy of boxed, retail software. But that's really a dated, past paradigm of software delivery. So much of this stuff has gone to online purchasing and downloading as well as online hosting of value added features (clip art, fonts, etc). It should be enough for an existing CorelDRAW user to have a Corel user account established with a record of his registered product serial numbers. We have to let the software "phone home" online to be activated. If the registered user wants to jump from using a Windows-based PC to using a Mac all he should have to do is uninstall the Windows version and then install and activate the Mac version on his new computer.

Adobe Creative Cloud already works in this regard. You can install the software on up to 2 machines. You can de-activate installations. It doesn't matter if you have the software installed on a Windows PC at work and Mac at home. CorelDRAW should work the same way. I can sign into my Corel account to download the software I'm registered to use. Why should it matter if I download the Mac or PC version?

By forcing anyone who wants to run the Mac version of CorelDRAW 2019 to purchase a full version (even if they're an existing PC CorelDRAW user) that may reduce the number of customers who buy and use the Mac version. It's going to be a tough sell to get Mac users who have never used CorelDRAW before to give it a try. At least some existing CorelDRAW users would like to migrate to the Mac platform (or get out of running the PC version on a Mac via a Windows VM).

• I use only a single platform (Windows), but I wholly agree with both wbrisett & Bobby H.

First, there should be a cross-grade option at the same price as upgrading if nothing else. However, dual-platform licenses for a single user is pretty much normal for applications that run on multiple OSs. 

Corel is doing a disservice to existing Mac customer running in a VM.

I hope this gets rectified.

• A Mac version is a great idea, horrible business model to limit you to platform.

Last version (11?) on Mac was so bad... accidentally stroke a contour - Forget about it. I'd be weary of a Mac version at launch to start with without going through a trial first. And at another $500 investment for us big fans?

Plus it looks like you have to have a post 2016 Mac because they're jerks at Apple based on iOS and a "certain" chip they added to require they're consumers to upgrade every couple of years even though they pretend to boast the best hardware for longevity.

Adobe is their own real peer, and you can download the programs on every machine you have cross platform. Caveat being you can only be logged into 2 at any one time - no big deal. But their subscription model is painful if you don't have a corp paying for it.

• Hi everyone.

I have to agree with all of you.

The release for Mac was long overdue and this business model is not a good one.

Today I'm on a PC but tomorrow I could be on a Mac. And I want my hard earned money that was invested in software to not go down the drain.

Best regards.

Rob

• It looks like you can crossgrade, but it isn’t well advertised. I think you have to buy the windows upgrade and then go to customer service to have them convert it to a Mac license. I am trying to confirm that with customer service, but they have yet to reply. I’m more worried about the ominous statement, “Later this year, upgrades (download and box products) will no longer be available. Add Upgrade Protection to your purchase to get future versions at a fraction of the cost or choose a subscription, to always stay current.”