Why does this font not work?

So I downloaded a free font from Dafont.com. For some reason when I set a selected text to that font style it automatically makes it Arial font. Arial Font isn't even my default font in Corel.

Hers a screenshot

The font is grayed outfor some reason, but I can use other grayed out fonts and other OTF file fonts. So I'm not sure what the issue here is.

Parents
  • I've run into this same problem frequently when using fonts downloaded from the Google Fonts web site. The fonts aren't grayed out in the font menu, but when I try to apply one of the affected fonts to a selected piece of text the selected text object gets styled in default Arial instead.

The problems occur more often if the fonts are merely "seen" by Corel Font Manager in a targeted fonts folder. If I install the fonts directly into the Windows OS they'll sometimes work properly. I've seen this with a few of Google's recent variable fonts additions. There are other instances where the fonts won't work properly even if they're installed in the Windows OS for all applications to use. The other applications are able to load the fonts just fine. But CorelDRAW won't do it.

This problem (and other type related problems) have been going on for the past several years. From time to time Google will upload updates to certain type families. Sometimes I've been able to download a certain type family that wasn't working in CorelDRAW but a new download will work. Overall the whole thing is very hit and miss.

One other type issue I've seen: if I have CorelDRAW running in the background I'll see certain fonts within some type families disappear in Adobe Illustrator's fonts menu. If I shut down both applications and re-launch Illustrator I'll see all the missing fonts restored.

Reply Children