Pantone and CMYK pallets difference between CorelDraw Standard and Corel Draw Graphics Suite?

Looks like there's a good price today on CorelDraw Standard, (I don't need all the font management and collaboration tools). But before purchasing I wanted to make sure the didn't remove CMYK color profile/pallet and the Pantone color pallets from CorelDraw standard. Does anybody know?

This page, https://www.coreldraw.com/en/product/family/#compare shows:

"Professional Print options (CMYK features, Composite, Color separations, Postscript, Prepress tabs, large print preview)" as only available in the *Graphics Suite*, not Standard, but I'm pretty sure this is just for production facilities, for registration marks and stuff, which I've never needed, (or if I did, I would construct them manually in my production files).

Thanks

Parents
  • Came back today to purchase CorelDraw Standard, but the $240 special is back to $300.

However, looking closer at the version differences, I see PDF images are limited to 150dpi. This is almost too low a quality for uploading a PDF to the web, let alone printing. So not I'm not as eager to purchase.

At first I was like- Yay! Corel still has a purchase model. It isn't forcing everyone into a subscription like Adobe. But seems like the $269 yearly subscription ($22.42 monthly) is the way they're leaning.

Corel still has the full version license for $550, so they're not nearly as bad as Adobe. It's totally worth it if you use it every day. But I only use Corel occasionally, (and I already have version X3, it just doesn't install on Windows 10).

Here's the important version differences.

VERSION DIFFERENCES

CorelDraw Essentials 2021 - $130

* Can NOT Export EPS or PDF

EPS/PDF are important if you want to send files to a print shop. PDF is useful for giving completed projects to customers. As it is, there's no way to save vector art, (which is the whole point of CorelDraw) except in the native .CDR format.

* Does NOT have Bevel docker, Shadow tool, Spiral, Smooth, Smear, Smudge, and Roughen tool.

I could probably get by without these. Would miss the drop shadow tool the most, but could dip into GIMP occasionally if needed. There's probably a work around for the Bevel docker, and I've never used spirals for a customer project.

* Does NOT include power trace. Only includes one-click trace.

One-click trace is prob good enough for most situations, especially if your on the "essentials" budget.

Summary: Maybe if you do web graphics and mockups, and not so much printing. Or if you do all your printing in-house to a digital printer instead of an offset printer. Or your printer setup is directly compatible with .CDR files.

CorelDraw Standard 2021 - $300

* Can NOT export PDF with bitmap resolution greater than 150dpi , (not reasonable quality).

* Does NOT include Dimensions and Callout tools

I can get by without dimensions. I used them a lot for drafting, but they were always kind of buggy. (Who knows if they've improved.)

Summary: the deliberate crippling of PDF's is kind of a deal breaker.

CorelDraw "Graphic  Suite"  2023 Licensed - $550

* DOES include Professional Print options (CMYK features, Composite, Color separations, Postscript, Prepress tabs.)

I've can do without this. I've always prepared my production files manually and outsourced them. I'm not sure what type of production set up actually needs this.

* Available for Mac as well as Windows, (No Linux).

Summary: A good value if you will use it every day, (if you used it just once a week for 3 years that'd be $3.50 per usage).

CorelDraw "Graphic  Suite"  2023 Subscription - $270 yearly

DOES include web apps and iPad apps

Summary: All versions of CorelDraw include some version of PhotoPaint. The full versions include Corel Font Manager, and extra Fonts and Stock Art. I'm not sure that Corel innovates fast enough to justify a subscription.

I keep checking back on CorelDraw every year to see what's new. (Maybe they have a good pricing system, like a stand-alone CorelDraw app for $100, or maybe I can run it on Linux). I'm always left slightly disappointed.

I hate being locked into a single software ecosystem. I wish companies would allow software to be purchased based on its merits, not vendor lock-in or bloated software suites. There's a bunch of places I can get Stock Art and Fonts. For a font manager, I have the free NexusFont installed on my Windows system. I also use GIMP, Inkscape, OBS Studio, Microsoft 356 online, MS office at work, Libre Office at home, Adobe Creative Cloud (rarely), Firefox, Edge, Chrome (occasionally), Outlook at work, Thunderbird for freelance, etc.

...and here's the problems with the free Inkscape:

INKSCAPE

* Does NOT have support for CMYK or Pantone Colors, so not good for printing.

* Trying to deal with text boxes is a chore. Corel may not be superb in this area, but it's better than Inkscape. Corel can easily wrap text around vector art and flow from one text box to another. This is a big issue, because with vector/bitmap applications like this, there are a lot of projects that require text management, like brochures, flyers, menus, presentations, PDFs, manuals/instructions, catalogues and magazines.

Summary: There seems to be good amount of weirdness and glitches in Inkscape. You could probably work through much of this, get used to some things, create you own shortcuts and workflow. But the first two issues makes Inkscape a non-starter for print applications.

Reply Children
No Data