Find and replace text using macro

I work in an organisation with 47 member states and two official languages, English and French. I would like to be able to produce a simple macro that would run through a Corel Draw graphic (e.g. a pie-chart) and change the names of all the countries from English to French.

I tried recording a macro, but the result was a series of messages in the macro telling me that “Recording of this command is not supported: TextEdit”.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to do what I want?

Parents
  • Something like this:

For Each s In ActiveDocument.ActivePage.Shapes
            If s.Type = cdrTextShape Then
                If s.Text.Story = "Canada" Then
                    s.Text.Story = "le Canada"
                Else If s.Text.Story = "United States" Then
                    s.Text.Story = "les États-Unis"
                Else If s.Text.Story = "..." Then
                    s.Text.Story = "..."

.... do the same for other countries...

End If
            End If

Next s

Reply Children
  • Hendrik Wagenaar said:
    I don't doubt that Jeff, but Corbeau is looking to learn, so providing some sample code may be more valuable than a premade solution.  Who knows, he might one day be selling macros on your site.  I admire those brave enough to jump into VBA coding.

heh, I also admire them... :-D

Here is my idea: to translate entire languages using a pre-existing API, in this case, Google's (thanks to Shelby). Blocks of text go to an online translation engine, and are then returned to Draw's page.

The quality of the translation will be dependent on the the engine... but the macro accesses the latest translations automatically.

One thing to watch for is the length of strings and paragraph text frames, since the qty. of words coming back can exceed the original language. So designs might need to be adjusted to allow.

• Great idea, Jeff, but the Google translator is not perfect, and the results sometimes are good enough, sometimes are really wrong. It works better for individual words than a phrases. For example, your text: "Testing the macro translator is fun" is translated as "Prueba de la macro traductor es divertido", but this is not correct, and have not sense on spanish. "La prueba de la Macro traductora es divertida" o "Probar la macro traductora es divertido" sounds better. In English you will have three options, He, She and It, but in spanish "it" is not neutral, spanish uses "it" also as "he" or "she" ("eso" or "esa", "esto" or "esta", "aquello" or "aquella"). This is one of the greatest and most common problems of the learning of spanish, because this difference has not sense in your language. In spanish, "the Test" (la prueba) is not "neutral", is "feminine".

And more: try to translate "testing the macro translator is fun" with Google translator, and you will have diffrent result than "Testing the macro translator is fun". The T capital changes the sense of the entire phrase.

The Macro Translator is a powerful addition, but it need to use a better engine than Google