Adobe's New Subscription Plans

Adobe recently announced their new subscription based monthly and yearly plans with the launch of adobe cs5.5.  I see this as a threat to Corel Draw being that it will give access to design tools for as low as $20 a month.  I know over time you will be out of more money but to someone who is not willing to shell out $500- $1,200 upfront and need legit software right away they now have another option from adobe. Looks like a good move for adobe but if other companies don't follow it may be bad for the market. 

How it works

Subscription editions of Creative Suite software are just like regular Creative Suite products — they are installed on your computer and provide all the same features and functionality. Choose a one-year plan for lower payments or a flexible month-to-month plan you can stop and restart as needed. Either way, you'll have ongoing access to the latest version of your software at no extra charge as long as your subscription remains active.

Who it's for

• Customers of an older version of Creative Suite 
  • Customers no longer eligible for upgrade pricing  
  • Freelancers or owners of small businesses 
  • Anyone who needs the flexibility of software on an as-needed basis

Plan options

One-year plan
The one-year plan offers lower monthly payments and requires a one-year commitment. This is the ideal plan for someone with an ongoing need to use Creative Suite software.

Month-to-month plan

The month-to-month plan provides the flexibility of a short-term commitment that allows you to stop and restart your subscription as your business needs change.

• Hi Brian,

No i am not a promoting adobe.

I posted this info because It's relevant to designers. I'm not saying that no one here should ditch corel and jump on adobe's bandwagon. Corel Draw is hands down my favorite when it comes to design software.

I was just saying that if adobe gets this right it only makes them stronger because now they have another option for bringing in customers. You can still buy the software if you want to they are just adding the option for you to rent it also.

I was posting to see if the Corel community liked the idea.  Maybe Corel could offer something similar for people who don't have the money to buy Corel Draw. You can still buy Corel Draw it would just add another option for those who want to rent it month to month.

• Brian said:
    OK Andru,

I am going to take the bait, lol. Productivity, really? Tell me what you can do FASTER in Illustrator and Photoshop than someone who knows CDGS can do with Draw and PP? What is the "heavy lifting" you refer to? These are typical vauge statements with no real substance. I am interested to hear your side of the story though.

Best regards,
    Brian.

Bait?

Do you just go looking for fights? It seems that's all I hear from you.

Productivity for my company means easliy being able to open and work with the Adobe files we are sent and ones we have to send out everyday. Believe me, it's alot easier opening an Illustrator file in Illustrator and knowing that everything will be there to work on verses using Corel to open it then having to fix the little small things that come up simply due to the communication barrier between Draw and Illustrator. The barrier is small but I see things that don't work all the time. Same type of thing with Photoshop. 

When you are talking about software that is an industry standard its alot easier working with that when dealing with other companies that use it as well.

What I said was in no way a shot at Corel. I personally feel CorelDraw is way more user-friendly than Illustrator. And I realize I have some sort of false reputation to you but unfortunately you seem to be wrong every time. And I struggle to understand your motives sometimes.

Again I apologize for whatever it was I said that might have set you off this time.