Convert Illustrator brushes to CDR equivalent.

Hello again. :)

I use coreldraw mainly for pattern making (as well as graphic design) but I would also like to make fashion sketches.

This page has wonderful brushes that would be perfect.

http://www.illustratorstitchbrush.com/

But it is for Illustrator. (Bummer, I dislike that Illustrator is more popular despite that CDR is easier to use)

I have yet to purchase the brushes as I am not sure how I can use them in CDR.

thanks. :)

Parents
  • Hi My name is Nadia Faubert creator of PrestigeProDesign & 101 Illustrator brushes, and yes you may use my brushes in Corel Draw see How to by Claire (aka Seemane)

The steps I used to achieve this were:
    1.      Open a new page in CorelDRAW (File > New)
    2.      Import the original PDF file into the page (File > Import). 
            ·     Selecting the option 'Import Text as Curves'.
            ·     Selecting a single page at a time (so as not to have too much going on, on the screen and to make the process more manageable).
    3.      The PDF page is inserted - and everything is inserted as a single grouped-object by default.
    4.      Ungroup all objects (click onto the object  then click Arrange > Ungroup All)
    5.      Select and group the objects that are for the new brushstroke.
    ·         To select multiple objects: Choose Pick Tool. Click and Drag over multiple objects. All objects within the marquee area will be selected.
    6.      Then follow the steps in the CorelDRAW's 'To create a custom brush stroke' Help file.
    ·         Apply appropriate filenames to the newly created brushstroke files (.cmx extension) as each one is saved to the hard-drive.

7.      Repeat steps 3-4 for each "brushstroke" imported from the original PDF file.

I tested using the 1-page PDF file that you sent to me.
    I presume the actual 'Illustrator stitch brushes' product is in the format of .ai file(s)? If yes, then I guess I could start off using the how-to from Corel.com's webste here: Importing Adobe® Illustrator®, Adobe Photoshop® and PDF files and then carry on using the steps in the sequence above from step. 4 onwards.

To create a custom brush stroke (text copied from Help file)
    1. Select an object or a set of grouped objects.
    2. Open the Curve flyout, and click the Artistic media tool .
    3. Click the Brush button on the property bar.
    4. Click the object or grouped objects.
    5. Click the Save artistic media stroke button on the property bar.
    6. Type a filename for the brush stroke.
    7. Click Save.

·     Custom brush strokes can be accessed from the Brush stroke list box on the property bar.
    ·    To delete a custom brush stroke, choose the brush stroke from the Brush stroke list box on the property bar, and click the Delete button .
    ·    You can create custom brush strokes by clicking Effects Artistic media and specifying the settings you want in the Artistic media docker.

The new brushstroke is saved as a .CMX file.
    The files are in this folder path (for CorelDRAW X3 in Windows XP):
    C:\Program Files\Corel\CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 13\Draw\CustomMediaStrokes
    (So a user would then be able to back-up their custom brushstrokes if they know the folder location.)
Reply Children