Cannot open file anymore, get Corel A.R.M.

Dear other Corel-users,

Since a while I'm using Coreldraw X3 and very happy with it.

However I sometime create files, which I cannot open anymore. I tried to recover them and googled the internet for possible solutions, but until it always ended up me recreating the files.

Until now.... but the file which I created yesterday contained a lot of work... I don't want to do it all over again. That's why I'm asking your help now. It's the menu for my brothers restaurant and the deadline is tomorrow :-(

The file is around 75 Mb, and contains multiple A3 pictures (explaining the size). I just realize that the problem always occurs when I converted a photo to duotone and then to CMYK.

When I'm opening the file the Corel A.R.M. starts and going through the screens it always ends up in a "hanging" Coreldraw, which I have to close with the taskmanager.

What I already did / tried:

• Service Pack 1 and 2 are already installed for a while
  • Using opening from inside Coreldraw results in the Corel A.R.M.
  • Opening the file from Windows explorer results in Coreldraw opening and keeps on "hanging"in the "file opening" mode
  • Opening a new document and importing the file results also in the Corel A.R.M.
  • The auto-backup file, which Corelddraw makes in the same directory, is shortly created before the final file and gives the same problems.
  • I started my computer in the safe-mode and tried to open the file in Coreldraw, but this also results in Corel A.R.M.

Does anyone recognize this problem and is able to give me a solution? Because I'm not looking forward to do all the work again....

Thanks in advance!

Peggy

Parents
No Data
  • Dear Hugh and Graewerld,

Thank you so much for your support! This means I can now finalize this and my brother can decide tonight on the final design for his menu. I'm very happy.

I have a 3 big lessons learned today: 

• Don't convert a photo to duotone and then to CMYK, because that makes (somehow?) my application instable
    • During the "designing" process, make a back-up before making "large" adjustments
    • There are always kind people willing to spend their time to help you!

For Graewerld: It was the brownish photo on page 5....

For me: Just curiosity, how were you both able to open the file? Do you have a work-around or do you use a younger version of Coreldraw?

Last question is also because I'm planning to invest more time in really learning how to use the Graphic Suite (instead of just creating things with trial and error). For this reason I'm thinking of first upgrading to X4 or X5 and then start learning the right version at once...

Thanks again!

Peggy

Children