Incorrect icon association in Win 7 64-bit

I have installed the 32-bit version of PhotoPaint X3 on my Win 7 64-bit machine, and, so far, it seems to be functioning OK.  It is only a minor niggle, but, although I have associated several bitmap formats, like .tif and .jpg both in PhotoPaint itself and in Default Programs/Associate a file type, in Explorer/List View only the generic icon is displayed (a plain white sheet of paper) rather than PP`s icon, even for .cpt extensions, although PP`s icon displays next to the "Open" button in the Explorer toolbar if I select an associated file format.  I have tried all manner of ways to rectify this, including rebuilding the IconCache.db, but without success.  Is this a 32-bit program versus a 64-bit O/S thing which I shall have to live with, or is there a way to get PP`s icon back where it belongs, please?

Thanks

Trik

Parents
  • The problem, here, lies in the fact that PP X3 is over eight years old. That is long before Windows 7. The latest Windows that X3 was qualified for (If I Recall Correctly) is Vista. So, you can expect a few inconsistencies.

That said, let's try something that hopefully will at least associate the PP icon with bitmaps.

First, make sure that all bitmaps of interest (*.CPT, etc.) are defaulted to open with PhotoPaint.

If that does not give you something other than the generic paper sheet icon, then put the X3 DVD in the drive and when the install memu comes up, select 'Repair'.

Outside of those two items, I can not think of anything else that may help, in this case.

Reply Children