Pantone colours look visually different between versions of colour books

Hello,

When opening the same pantone solid coated colours from 2 different versions of the books they look visually quite different. For example a customer has sent me artwork that has 7546C in it from the "previous version" book. If I choose that same colour from the Pantone+ Solid Coated-V4 book it looks a lot darker. The darker version visually looks coser to the actual PMS book i have here and that would also match the mixing system version of the actual ink. But if a customer is choosing a colour based on what they see on the screen and dont have a physical colour book this could cause some issues.

Seems very odd that the colour wouldn't look the same across different versionsof the books.

Parents
  • Are you comparing actual printed color books or comparing color books to the screen?

The Pantone 7546C color and 7546 in the Pantone + Solid Coated-V4 are different computer palette.

The reality is that the printer will use the formula printed on the swatch from the book so you would need to compare those mixing formulas from the two books to know if the colors are the same.

What you may try is making sure that CorelDRAW is set to use LAB for spot color conversions and convert the 7546C color and the Pantone +Solid Coated-V4 version of 7546 to CMYK and see if they convert to the same CMYK.

If it does not convert to the same CMYK colors I would suspect that they're different colors. If they convert to the same CMYK numbers I would assume that they are the same color and that the difference in the palettes is just a display change. 

Just remember that there is no difference between C and U pallets for the actual printer they use the same ink to print onncoated as they do for uncoated paper.

The C and U pallets are only for the computer display simulation and will produce different CMYK conversions in the computer.

Reply Children