Crashing when I "trim"...constantly.

I guess this is more a report than anything else, since I don't expect a solution (other than "reinstall CDR").

My CDR is set to close/pack-up/exit/vanish when there is a lockup or freeze or crash.  I used to hate sitting and waiting for Corel to "unlock" and eventually having to Task Manager the thing! So I opted for the quick death. But its annoying when you've done a ton of work and the temp-auto-backup-file is not sufficiently recent enough.

Anyway, I am finding that CDR is crashing a lot, and it seems to be when I "trim" (Shaping)...and the trim is not a simple one. Like for example, I try to trim the wrong thing, that is too big, or multiple objects...and Corel doesn't seem to know what to do, so it shuts down/gives up...and I lose all my work!

So is there a common issue related to trim operations?

Why am I not just getting an error message?...something like "I can't trim that"...or just ignore my trim attempt...or anything other than Corel giving up and dumping my work.

No, I do not have "every ten minute" backup running because (1) crashes always seem to happen at 9 minutes and 50 seconds (a lot of work transpires in 10 minutes!) or (2) the auto-save happens when I am doing something complicated and induces a crash which results in a completely corrupted file... lol I'd rather fix recent work, than have to start all over again!

Parents
  • While I am working, I will create "groups" of objects, hundreds of times. Groups may be for various purposes, and may be regrouped dozens of times. I might just group a set of objects to move them around safely, later ungrouping them, never to be grouped again in the same set. I've just gotten used to using that function a lot in my work.

Sometimes, I will trim an object, forgetting it is in a group at that moment. I think thats usually when the crash occurs. In fact, I am sure thats when the problem occurs most.

I'll click the object to trim...nothing will happen, as if Corel is trying to do something...and then the Corel window will vanish. CDR has closed.

So its not file specific...and once it happens, the exact state of a file is gone.  After I recover the file, it will be in an earlier state...maybe the particular group of objects is not the same. So, I would have to recreate the exact steps that led me up to the fault moment.

I don't want Corel locked/frozen...so I prefer it just to shut down when it has a problem...I am just frustrated that this "trim" error causes a problem at all. To me, its something that Cdr should just give me the "bong" sound, because its a "can't do that" type of error.

I'm going to have to go back autosaves every 5 or 10 minutes, which annoys me, but its better than redoing a lot of work.

• Groups may be for various purposes, and may be regrouped dozens of times. I might just group a set of objects to move them around safely, later ungrouping them, never to be grouped again in the same set. I've just gotten used to using that function a lot in my work.

As an aside - I'm not offering this as a fix for the crashing you are experiencing - are you familiar with the "selection groups" capability in CorelDRAW?

Children
No Data