Is this sign great, bad or just so so ?

Hi Everybody,

Is this a great sign, a bad sign, or just so so.

Here's our reaction to it.

1.  The photography and composition are marvelous.
2.  It's a lousy sign.

It's a poor sign because it does not contain a sales pitch. Would a woman turn around to go into Bloomingdale to buy a bottle of this stuff because of this sign. What motivation does this sign show to her for spending her money.

We fixed the sign to improve matters.  The message and its rendition may not be subtle but we think that it is better than nothing.

Phil
PS: Any comments from professional sign people ?

• Someone assumed she wanted a man. Otherwise I'm neutral on the sign.

• The original suggests that this young woman with the quirky outfit loves this stuff. That in itself is the pitch. It tells us, "Women who like and use this scent embody all the attributes of the subject in the photo. "

She's not using the perfume to lure a man - it's simply an expression of who she is. So, yes, it works for me!

Fashion ads are alluring because of their beauty, and the beauty of their subjects. That glamour IS the draw, and the idea that the buyer can share in this glamour by buying the product IS the pitch.

And the abstract message of the open bottle and glistening droplets is an aesthetic appeal that implies freedom, even a little carelessness and abandon, along with grace and delicacy.

Your ad has a very different message, being that if you use the perfume, you'll get a man, as if by magic. It's a bit clumsy in comparison. The first ad says that using the product will bring you closer to your ideal self - glamorous, beautiful, young, quirky, independent. In its subtle way, it carries a lot of meaning.

with your approach, the ad becomes a statement that's not about bringing the buyer closer to that more perfect person that she aspires to. The focus moves from who she IS to what she WANTS, and, in this case, she wants a man.

And by removing the delicate splash of perfume from the picture, you lose that aesthetic appeal. And, again, the slogan makes the whole thing heavier, less graceful, clunky.

So, my vote goes for the original. A little mystery and grace go a long way, in my book.
  • To me, it's just another sign, but if I were to horse around with the image....

• The original was OK as far as fashion ads go.  The redesign is bloody awful though, in both execution and concept.  It's embarrassingly misogynistic and shows the creator had no idea who the audience is or what they want.  It's obviously a copy/paste disaster created by someone with little to no knowledge of their target audience, as well as little to no knowledge of how to execute their idea or how to use the software.

No offense, but this is a trainwreck and an eyesore, no matter how you look at it.  0 out of 10.  No stars and whomever made it should be banned from ever using imaging software again.