Making an object out of an image

Hi all :)

So let's say I want to use a picture of a coca-cola bottle from an image I found on the internet, or I take a pic of one... what is the best way to cut-it-out?

1) For instance, sometimes, the object is cut out of a white background and I want to use it on a black background... leaves a nasty outline :( - maybe its easier to take a pic of the object on a black background (which is what I usually do - but I don't feel like getting the camera out - besides, I then almost always need to touch up the photo)

and

2) how do I easily smooth the edges if a use the colour wand? before or after cutting out (Copy to clipboard)?

K - thanks :)

ps (i'm adding tags... but don't really know if I'm doing it right - pls comment) Thanks again ;)

Parents
No Data
  • Hi Maja,

if your image has a simple white background and the object you are interested in stands out clearly from the white background, then the easiest way to cut it out is to just select the white area with the Magic Wand tool and then reverse the mask. If you have the Magic Wand set to Subtractive Mode on the Property Bar, then there is no need to invert the mask.

If you then go to Mask>Mask Outline you will see a host of settings to modify the mask. I have a shortcut button on my toolbar, so that I don't have to keep going to the menu to access these optons. My image below shows the options from my shortcut button which are identical to those in the Mask Outline section of the Mask menu:

You will notice in the image there are Smooth and Feather options, which have an affect on the hardness/softness of your mask's edges.

If your image is not a simple one with a plain coloured background then the Cutout Lab is your best friend. If you have an example image that typifies what you might ordinarily be dealing with, we can then give advice specific to that type of image. There are many other ways to create and/or soften masks, so seeing what you are working with may lead to alternative advice. What are you intending to do after making your cut out?

Best regards,
    Brian.

Children
No Data