underwater color correction

Good afternoon everybody I'm new to this site and a novice PSP X user. Can anybody offer any advice on color correcting my underwater shots.

The only posts I ever see on any site usually deal with Photoshop. I've been getting decent results using one step photo finish and then sliding the overall brightness bar to a negative position usually -10 to -30. I then go to fade correction and use a value of 46. This seems to do a decent job. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My wife and I are avid snorkelers so I'm usually taking my pictures at a depth of 10' - 30' of water with an internal flash.

Thanks in advance

Joe B

Parents
No Data
  • This is the Corel Graphics Suite forum and PSP is supported in another area.

Judging from your post, you are getting bright washed out photos with an unpleasant color cast. PhotoPaint, PSP, and Photoshop have similar controls to correct for exposure and color. The key to correcting color is to find a color in your image that is supposed to be neutral and adjusting it until it is. An eye dropper tool is a great way to samle a color and compare it to white, black or gray.

There are some great underwater photography sites that give tips on dealing with the unique problems of shooting at depth. Light absorbtion, flash distance, distortion, murkiness are all problems you can lessen.

Remember, red light is absorbed more the deeper you go.

Remember contrast is diminished and gets worse the farther you go.

You might try the Channel Mixer and the Clarify Tool as well as a Shadow/Midtone/Highlight Adjustment.  Avoid saturating the colors too much.

Children
No Data