HDR..... Is it worth it?

As the title suggests, Is HDR worth it?

The reason I ask is that sure, some of the pictures ive spotted on sites such as Vanilla Days are really stunning, but is some HDR taken a bit too far? While I think that HDR can be used to good effect in enhancing an already well captured scene, I hate to see what could have been a beautiful image taken so far as to make it look too post-processed, unatural and synthetic.

I realise that there really is no substitute to setting up a shot correctly and my guess is that while HDR is currently quite new in the mainstream, it will be a technique that levels out over time and becomes just another standard tool that will be used by some purely for enhancement.

My reason for asking this and sharing my thoughts is that I have a camera now which I can auto-bracket exposures and take RAW if neccessary. The only further item that I would need to go for is software (such as PSP X2) with HDR merge capability. So, in your opinion, is it worth the investment in time and software or should I just stick with taking pictures and enhance as needed using the standard tools available in Corel Photo Paint X4?

Parents Reply Children
No Data