CorelDRAW Upgrades are Ending!???????????????!!!!!!!!!!

Got an email to purchase 2019 upgrade and it's also stating upgrades are ending???  Is it going the dreaded "subscription" (rent, never own) model?!

After reading the many bugs and problems with 2019, very reluctant to move on to that one.  I'd hate to purchase that 2019 upgrade and they leave it to die and NEVER fix it, but force me to SUBSCRIPTION after they take my money.

CorelDRAW Upgrades are Ending!

Now is your last chance to upgrade to CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 2019. Later this year, upgrades will no longer be available.

Parents
  • Effectively yes. IF you want to be able to upgrade at the upgrade price you have to maintain a subscription. Otherwise you will have to buy the full version.

Personally I think Corel will be shooting themselves in the foot. People will look at the problems with this release and think, I'll wait and see if the next is any good, and maybe wait till 2021, save myself 2 years of subs and if the 2021 version is worth it then i'll just have to pay the full version price. But the problem for Corel is that the new versions are never worth the full version price. Very little new functionality and lots of new bugs.

I'd put money on them reversing the decision sometime mid 2020.

Reply Children
  • Corel had gone from a unique Canadian company to being a company owned by US venture capitalists with the values of making money

For information purposes only, that happened 16 years ago.

That Corel "Photo-Paint" and "Paintshop" are NOT the same product and over the years they have not "melded" them into being the same product.

Of course not. And as far as I know, I don't think there are plans for something like this to happen. PhotoPaint is the internal image editor of CorelDRAW. That is so since the last century, it is nothing new either.

And so design shops need to buy Paintshop on top of the CD suite. ABSURD! This is also why I can't afford to upgrade each time there is a new incarnation of both.

The price of the latest version is $80, if a printing or design company can't afford that price, they can't buy Photoshop either. I understand that for private users it is an extra expense, but it is not mandatory to buy a new version every year.

Although as CorelDRAW users we would like to have everything in the same suite, from the point of view of business it is risky. Companies that identify with only one program have had problems selling another one. It happened to Lotus (with its 1-2-3), Quark, and others.