After 30 years I stop using CorelDraw - BUGS

Okay, today is the day - I quit.

My first edition of CorelDraw was version 3 in the early '90's.

As an art-student I hated Apple and Adobe, and so I decided to think different.

Bought a Windows 3.1 computer, and caught myself an illegal copy of CorelDraw 3 (sorry for that).

After graduation, I started my own art-studio and bought legal copies of CorelDraw (I sorry for that right now).

CorelDraw was cool, it was different.

You could do things that Illustrator couldn't.

• Create your own fonts, export them as genuine .ttf files
  • Multipage support from (almost) the beginning
  • Seamless align of nodes on a vector with the click of a mouse
  • Import and export to .svg
  • Adjusting typography by dragging your mouse over the x- and y-axis
  • Etc...

In the last 30 years I always received Illustrator files from co-workers, opened them in CorelDraw, made my adjustments, exported them back to Illustrator.

I never used Illustrator, besides that importing / exporting thing : I simply had to, because the world wanted me to do.

Of course, CorelDraw did have bugs - but I could handle them,

The thing is, bugs went worse from year to year.

And the price went up from year to year.

I don't know how many licenses I have and the amount of money I have paid, but it must be more than 10.000 EUR / 9.500 USD in the past 30 years.

E.g. I bought CorelDraw 6, X6, 2016, 2019, 2022 and than it stopped.

The bugs went from bad to worse, the refresh was not updating, panning was blurry, cursors disappeared, waiting cursors appeared (even at high-end production machines), etc...

This week I did buy a brand new 6.500 EUR computer, top of the bill. 

My most recent copy of CorelDraw as 2019, since I don't want a monthly subscription and / or the newest version every year.

CorelDraw 2019 did not work on a computer from 2022.

Let me repeat that again.

CorelDraw 2019 did not work on a computer from 2022.

I don't know what the developers did, but there API-calls to the Windows 11 GUI-rendering are a complete f*** up.

Windows 11 dark theme doesn't work together with CorelDraw dark GUI, the scrollbars are broken, panels disappear, cursors are hidden, zooming hides the content, etc...

Okay, so I decided to upgrade and bought CorelDraw 2021, the stand alone version.

700 EUR (2019 cost me 450 EUR for the full version).

Guess what?

All the bugs in the 2019 version were still present in the 2021 version.

I downloaded the 2022 version; the scrollbar-bug was repaired and I had to pay another 500 EUR to "upgrade" from 2021 to 2022.

Then a banner popped up when closing my legal 2019 version;

Hey, you're using an old version from 2019, buy the new one now!

I already did, and it didn't work.

Opened the 2021 version, extreme slow, GPU not detected, crash, fonts disrupted, artwork destroyed, ugly interface.

Hey, you're using an old version from 2021, buy the new one now!

WTF? I did just bought a brand new version, and now I am getting popups even from that one?!

Leave me alone, get your sh*t together, make a product that doesn't crash.

And than I did it.

I started Illustrator CS6 (the latest "stand alone version" so you don't have to pay monthly for it).

I deleted all shortcuts to CorelDraw from my system, forcing me to work only in Illustrator for at least one day.

Within about two hours, I managed most tricks, panels and shortcuts in Illustrator and it worked so stable, quick, good rendering, no issues with whatever at all.

Of course, the multi-page is not as fluid as CorelDraw (but you can use artboards for that), I am missing a sh*tload of shortcuts (which can be re-assigned) and the program has some quirks.

But OMG, it's so stable, quick, fluid, the workflow with Photoshop and Indesign is seamless, everything just works.

So goodbye CorelDraw, I went from cool, to love, to friends, to hate.

And now I am happy to say "farewell" - hope to never see you again.