Error finding...

Sometimes it takes a while and some persistence.

Remember me saying I had this weird memory error. I could test the RAM for days but Window would claim some variable amount of "hardware reserved RAM".

What's the obvious thing to do?

Take the RAM out, clean the contacts with a rubber and put it back in making 110% sure it is IN.

Every time I move this happens. Damn RAM not IN properly.

So I'm now set up in the site van. And I've managed 24GB of 32GB in hardware reserve.

Yes the F word was said many times.

Maybe if I reseat it all again?

What if I up the memory voltage?

Better clean the contacts like hell this time.

All the way down to "I'll just put one in".

Fail

Try another

Fail

Try another slot

Fail

Many F words!

What if I just put one DRAM into the slot and don't push it in so hard?

Bingo!

I had to put each DRAM in one by one and checking this mystery "hardware reserved" each time.

Seems pretty weird. We are talking 0.x of a millimeter difference.

Fixed many a dead computer with a pencil rubber on the RAM contacts. Never have I seen this memory tests perfectly but Windows puts it in hardware reserve during boot, which is a fraction of the time it takes to run a memory check.

What makes the call on this "hardware reserved memory", obviously correctly, but that doesn't get tested by the Windows memory checker or any other memory checker?

Perhaps some inquiry of Microsoft is in order to find out what is being tested to assess what memory gets the title "hardware reserved". I've been able to find a lot of BS but nothing I'd call an answer.

"That memory tests OK with our tool but Windows knows better in 5 second that to use it."

What is this something Windows works on as it boots in normal boot time than a long running memory test ignores? Doesn't seem like something that should be ignored but rather the first 5 second of the memory test.

• Windows troubleshooting in 2023...

A pack of Zombies, that have never had the actual issue of concern, cheating off each others false solutions, in an environment where Microsoft has absolved itself from responsibility. AKA not even help from the event viewer, way too much effort for MS that is. Just deploy the Zombies!

It's a hardware issue not diagnosed by the memory test and every suggestions he make is repeated over and over by these Zombies that never had the issue, with the forum threads ending in no resolution to the issue.

If you were answering this question from a serious knowledge base you would start with...

Hardware reserved memory is set up at x point of the boot process by xx code. It assesses xx by yy.

And indeed someone may have made a decent effort at this and Google might know where that article is. But due to the Zombie apocalypse, Google can't sort the wheat from the trash and nor can anyone else.

They used to shoot the Zombies in Linux, but by the look of this one a Zombie apocalypse is at the gates. (Lurch groan)

linuxhint.com/.../